Batgirl: Break the code (part fifty-two)

Part fifty-two: A Hero's Duty

Wayne Manor

Selena shook Bruce awake, disturbing him from his little time of sleep. She didn't want to, but t was urgent.

"Selena? What's wrong?" He asked.

His voice was raspy and hoarse, Selena did everything in her power to keep herself from pouncing on the Dark Knight. She started wearing her Catwoman uniform and fixed her jumpsuit.

"Trouble by the docks, Joker kidnapped a boy, seven years old. He wanted to see Batgirl." She said.

Bruce stood up from his bed and led Catwoman outside his bedroom down to the secret entrance to the Batcave, the grandfather clock.

"Call Barbara, I'll tell Damian. The rest will stay here and watch over Kara." He said.

Catwoman nodded, using the pole to slide down to the Batcave. Bruce did the same on the other pole and the first thing he noticed when he reached the floor was the "Keep Out" sign hanging on the infirmary door. Damian must've placed that there.

He went to the glass where his uniform was displayed and in one swift move, the black suit was out of the glass and now on his hands.

"Damian?" He called out.

Slowly, the infirmary door opened to reveal Damian's figure standing by it. A frown was visible on his face as he did so.

"What is it, father?" He asked.

"It's The Joker again. He demands to see Kara and we need your help on this one." Bruce said.

He looked uneasy as look over his shoulder to check on Kara's sleeping figure. Her body was relaxed, buthe can still see her arms a little tensed. He didn't get how, but it was. He knew he had to do his job and save Gotham, even with the gurl he loves laying on a hospital bed. Sighing, he turned to look at his father who was now fully dressed as Batman. He nodded and went to grab his Robin uniform.

|I can hear shuffling and footsteps, but my eyes refused to open. It's like it was glued shut. Dang, that's probably'cause I don't want to feel Damian's wrath.|

Batgirl swung by the docks, landed on her feet perfectly. As she stand straight, she noticed an outline of the said villain. There was a little boy next to him, gagged and almost unconscious.

She walked towards him cautiously, repeating the plan in her head as she approach the villain. She did her best to keep herself away from light, not wanting her cover blown.

"Ah, Batgirl. The Grandmaster's impatiently waiting for you, so I gladly volunteered to end his boredom and get you." He smirked.

Batgirl remained silent, her hands turning into fists as she wait for Joker to continue his speech. Robin's figure appeared behind the crates near The Joker, batarangs on his hands.

"You're acting weird. Usually, you'll run out and hide behind the bird boy. I guess you finally gathered the courage to surrender, hmm?" He smiled in satisfaction.

Batgirl waited for Catwoman's cue, her patience quickly running out as The Joker pull out a pocket knife from his pocket. He looked down at the kneeling kid beside him and twirled his knife.

"Ah, kids these days are so fond of horror movies, but they're afraid when they're in it." He said.

Batgirl caught a glimpse of Catwoman's whip at the air and looked back at Joker who was waiting for her response. Robi threw his batarangs with perfect accuracy, making Joker let go of his knife and stumble forwards. Batgirl launched herself towards him and kneed his stomach as hard as she could. He doubled over and dropped to the floor as Batman free the boy and hand him to Catwoman. She lashed her whip to a building and led the boy to safety, away from The Joker.

The said Batgirl stepped out of the shadows and showed her vibrant red hair. Robin stayed in his place just in case as Batman and Batgirl pick up The Joker from the floor and cuffed his hands.

"I asked for Batgirl number five. Why is Batgirl number one back? Is she dead? Tell me all the details!" He said.

Batgirl gritted her teeth, restraining herself from using her batarang to slice this mad clown's throat. Batman noticed her facial expression and led the criminal away from her.

Her ear piece suddenly rang and she and Robin answered at the same time.

"Master Damian, Mistress Barbara, it's Mistress Kara." Alfred Penyworth's voice reached their ears.