Batgirl: Break the code (part twenty-one)

Part twenty-one: Milkshakes And Chill

Tadashi Hotel, Lobby

Kara furiously typed on her computer, making a formula to make cells that has the ability to manipulate into any human body part, internal or external.

|This thing is making my mind explode! Where is Damian and my shake!?|

"Ugh," she groaned, staring at the formula on her computer. She took her glasses off and rubbed the bridge of her nose, obviously stressed out.

"Hey," Damian said. "Here you go."

He handed her a cup of caramel shake, her favorite. She smiled in gratitude and took it from him, instantly sipping on it.

"How did you know that caramel is my favorite?" She asked, watching Damian as he took a seat right beside her.

"We've been seeing each other all day, every day for the part few weeks, Gordon. I can easily know your favorites and other info." He shrugged, tucking his other hand in his hoodie pockets. Kara rolled her eyes at him with a small smile and looked back at her laptop.

"What's that?" The young Wayne asked, looking at the formula.

"A formula," she answered. "For Barbara's spine."

"You're stressing yourself, Gordon. Can't you get over it?" He sighed, looking at her in concern. She shook her head in disagreement.

"I can't," she said. "It was my fault that she had a life like this. What happens when she marries someone worthy to her? How will they have a child? I don't want to grow old without a niece or a nephew!"

Damian chuckled, watching the young Gordon as she ranted about her sister. Quickly putting her glasses on, she typed into her laptop with one hand, her shake on the other.

"Will you give her a niece or nephew?" He asked, lifting one eyebrow. Kara's eyes widened at his question, not thinking about that.

"I-uhh, I don't know. I'm too young to think about that." She said, glancing at him before looking back at her screen. Biting her lip, she kept on typing on her laptop.

"Can you be away from your laptop for at least an hour?" He asked again.

"No,"

"You're just like Drake. I wonder what Brown sees in him." He sighed. Kara smirked and glanced at him again.

"I wonder how you don't like anyone." She said.

"I am offended," Damian said, putting a hand by his heart. "I tend to like things or people that do not annoy me down to hell."

"Name one person." She challenged, shutting her laptop. She turned to face the young Wayne, her bent leg resting in between them.

"I cannot," he said. "But you probably know her."

"She must be imaginary, then." She laughed, sipping on her shake. Damian glared at her, not appreciating the evil smirk on her face.

"She is definitely not," he refused. "And I see her every day."

"Unlucky girl," Kara commented. Damian rolled his eyes and secretly put his arm around her, resting it on the couch.

"You won't be saying that once you know," he mumbled, not letting her hear a word. "I can see why your uniform suits you. Black and gold is your favorite color."

Kara followed Damian's gaze and saw that he was staring at her laptop. She chuckled, putting it in her laptop case.

"You're pretty observant, Wayne." She said. "Your favorite? Green, am I right?"

"Correct," Damian said, searching for her eyes. She refused to let them meet and looked elsewhere. There was a comfortable yet awkward silence between them. The both of them wanting to end it.

"So," Kara started. "Your mother is Talia, right? That woman's a real witch, no offense."

"None taken. I get why you say that. I hate her, too, personally." Damian replied.

"Why? Because she just tried to take your life away from you? Yeah, I can relate."

"How can you relate?" He asked, lifting an eyebrow.

"Did I tell you about that day when Joker kidnapped me and sent me on an island just to watch me try to get my way out?" She asked, folding her arms over her chest.

"I don't recall you saying that," Damian said. "Joker really is a big jerk."

"Well, yeah," she muttered. "But I think that's because of the incident with Batman years ago. When he failed to save him from that big tank of acid."

"I guess every smile hides some pain, huh?" Damian said.

"You obviously don't hide your pain behind smiles, Damian." She said. Damian was about to reply, but she cut him off. "You hide them by...acting tough and emotionless. Why?"

"I don't like it when people take pity on me," he said. "They say they're sorry, but they probably just say that to give some sympathy or showing that they care when they obviously don't."

"I," Kara said. "I care, Damian."

Damian's eyes widened at her comment, not really believing it.

|I don't know why I said that! It just slipped out of my mouth. But I meant it, even though he can be a real jerk sometimes.|

"You don't," he said. Kara smirked and grabbed his shoulders.

"I do," she said. "Want me to prove it?"

"Oh, please do." Damian said, rolling his eyes. Kara smiled, leaning closer to him until they were inches apart. She can feel his breath on her lips, the smell of mint and chocolate mixed.

"Let's go to the market mearby," she said. "We're gonna have some fun."