28| Remembrance

Skylar POV

I was leaving school when I heard someone call my name.

"Sky wait up.. " I Heard Brandon yell

I slowed down, allowing him to catch up

"Hey Brandon" I greeted giving him a hug

"Wassup. So I was thinking that we could hang out tonight, we ain't did nothing together in awhile. "

'Uh.. Yea That'll be cool, just like old times"

"Is your boyfriend gone trip? " He asked looking at me with wide eyes and holding his breath

"Brandon, I told you before and I'll tell you again I don't have a boyfriend" I said smiling at him

He burst into laughter "Skylar you are so full of shit girl! But whatever, I don't have practice so I'll be there around 7"

"Ok, see you then" I then continued to the subway heading home.

---------

I was walking down the block and my mind wondered to Rakim as I passed by his house. I wonder what he's doing? I quickly disregarded the thought, it's none of my business. I walked in my house and saw my mom there.

"Hey Mami" She was in the living room watching tv

"Hey baby, how was school? "

"It was fine, you're home early"

"Yes chile and it feels good"

I took a seat next to her, laying my head on her lap so she could play in my hair. It's something I'd always do when I was younger.

"So, the big day is coming up.. You have any plans? " she asked me

"No, it's just another day no big deal" I responded nonchalantly

"Sky, you're turning 18 that's a humongous day honey. You have to do something"

"Ma, it's just a day and besides it's not the same anymore without him.. " I said feeling the tears swell in my eyes

"I know.. But you can't keep carrying on the way you do, you need to get you someone that can make you happy sweetie. "

"No one can make me feel the way he did. His love was different, no man will ever compare to him and our birthdays were on the same day, I can't celebrate without him here with me mama.. "

She just got quiet.

"What about Rakim? "

"... He's just a friend mama, I'm sure he's got plenty of better women to occupy his time than to be worried about me" I then got up and went to my room.

I always got depressed around this time of year. My birthday was in 2 days and so was the only man that I have ever loved. He was my happiness but when he was killed its like a piece of me died with him.

I fell flat on my bed, exhaling loudly. It was 5:13pm and Brandon wasn't coming until 7 so I might as well occupy myself until then.