Second and Sebring

*Austin's POV*

"Do you know where the mall is?" I asked, looking over at her.

"Sorry, no, they didn't exactly let me out a lot," she replied.

"No worries, I'll find it. Why didn't they let you out if you don't mind me asking?" I asked.

"They didn't trust me because I would always run off. It's not my fault though, we always had to go in groups and I always got stuck with those preppy bitches that made fun of me," she said yawning.

"They don't treat you fairly do they? I mean the 'Sisters'? Or however you call them?" I looked at her sadly. She's such a beautiful girl, she deserves a better life than this.

"Yeah, they never did," she murmured and fell silent. I could see she didn't want to continue this conversation so we lapsed into silence. Figuring out that she wasn't comfortable, I turned up the music, it was up to Shadows Die by now, and sang along. By the time the song ended, I saw the mall glimmering in the horizon. I looked over to Jinxx and said, "See? We found it, now on to FOOD!!"

She was looking at me, wide eyed, and I fumbled with the switches, turning the music off and proceeding to ask her worriedly, "What? What is it? Are you okay? Are you having a stroke?"

"Yeah, it's just that you have a good voice, and when you're not singing you're really loud," she said smiling a genuine smile. I smiled back, relieved, and said, "Well that's what my last girlfriend said". Wait no, that sounded wrong, "No wait! Holy shit that sounded way too wrong. I was loud in a different way, not the sexual way," I tried to correct myself, and failing miserably.

Glancing over at her I saw her trying hard to hold in her laugh. "You're really something Austin," she said and burst into fits of giggles.

"Why thank you, thank you, and so are you," I said and bowed my head slightly.

"So what do you want to eat?" she shrugged her shoulders, still laughing.

"Hmmm, how about pizza?" I asked.

She nodded her head in agreement, a small smile still playing at the corners of her mouth.

We found a pizzeria right inside the mall and ended up ordering a pepperoni pie. While we were waiting, I decided to put my plan to action and make her open up a little more.

"So tell me about yourself sweetie," I asked.

She pouted, seemingly lost in thought, then said, "Um, my favorite color is blue and black. I love listening to music, drawing anime and watching horror and Disney movies. Um, my fave movies are Brave, Nightmare on Elm Street, Paranorman, and Nightmare Before Christmas. I ended up at the orphanage because my mom didn't want me. She gave birth to me at the age of 17 and wasn't willing to throw her future away, so she decided to leave me on the steps of the orphanage. Nobody wants me either," she finishes, looking down at the table.

"Hey, that's not true you know," I said. I leaned over and cupped her chin in my fingers and made her look at me. She finally looked up at me, her brown eyes flecked with bits of gold, and I said, "Don't say that nobody wants you because I do. I want you to be my daughter and I will never mistreat  you or abuse you. Your mom was really stupid to give away such a beautiful, smart, caring girl,"

"Thanks Austin. You're the first person to tell me that," she said, and I could see her eyes watering.

"Honey, please don't cry," I said. I changed my seat and sat next to her. I pulled her into a hug and she flinched away from me. I looked at her, hurt. She whispered, "Sorry, Austin, I'm sorry,"

"No no, it's okay," I said, smiling at her. She's been through so much, I have to give her time. Damn, why can't I just remember that?

"Mind if I sit next to you?" I asked her.

"No," she said, looking down at the table. 

Sitting comfortably in silence, I hear Meghan Trainor's new stupid song come up, and Jinxx say, "I love how music can take you to another place. For example right now, this bitch is singing her stupid song and if I was alone, I would get up and go to a different pizzeria,"

I laughed and said, "Yeah, I totally agree, but that would be considered a sin, to just leave and not pay,"

"Yeah, but if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing," she said.

"Well, you're not wrong..." I said, thinking about it. 

Sitting next to her, I continued to fill the space up with mindless chatter, and it worked, she seemed happier and more relaxed.

Soon enough, our food came, and we ate in comfortable silence.