Chapter 41

Ben and Mal ran down to the Enchanted Lake after losing the reporters.

"Phew," Mal said out of breath.

"We did technically out run them," Ben said and Mal laughed.

"Yeah.... But not like you thought we would," she said. Ben pulled her close to him. "I love you," he said.

"I love you too," she said and closed the small gap between their faces.

They stayed at the lake until around 4 o'clock in the afternoon.

"So.... How are you doing?" Ben asked as they looked up at the clouds.

"Fine. I guess.... How should I be doing?" Mal questioned sitting up from the spot she was laying.

"I mean with all the questions about having kids in the future," Ben said playing with her purple hair.

"Ben, it's only been two months since we..... You know..... I don't want to rush into anything. I don't feel like I could have a kid right now, even if I tried," she said looking at the ground.

"It's okay Mal. Don't feel like you have to have another baby right now. I mean, it's not like the kingdom of Auradon is resting on the shoulders of us producing an heir."

"Wow, way to make me feel better..."

Ben chuckled. "You know what I mean."

"Do I?"

"Come here you," Ben said. Mal giggling and stood up. 

"Never," she said and ran away. 

"So we're doing this again are we?" Ben asked and ran after her. She squealed as he caught her. 

"Ben!" she said and pushed him away laughing. He tripped and fell into the water, but not before he pulled her in with him. "It's cold!" she said.

"Hmmmm, maybe it is," he said laughing. "Only a little."

"You ruined my dress!"

"Actually, I think that you look better when you're all wet."

"Okay, that's weird. Please don't ever say that again," Mal said and lifted herself out of the water. Ben followed and put his jacket around her, just like on their first date. "What time is it anyway?"

"Um.... 4:13," Ben said looking at his watch.

"4:13! Oh, no. I was supposed to go shopping with Evie!" Mal said freaking out.

"Just tell her you were...... Busy."

"You don't understand. With Evie's hormone's going up and down. How do I know she won't be mad at me? I've got to go!" Mal said and ran off.

"Mal! Wait!" Ben called after her.

Mal got back to her dorm room, still soaking wet, and opened the door. She looked around, and found a note. 

Mal,

I went shopping with Jane.

~Evie

"Oh no. What did I do? She's gonna hate me," Mal said. She spent the rest of the time Evie was gone trying to make up an excuse she was late. Everything came down to telling Evie the truth. She went to the Enchanted Lake with Ben, and lost track of time. 

It was around six when Evie finally got back.

"Evie! I'm so sorry! I was at the Enchanted Lake with Ben, and then we lost track of time! And-"

"Mal, it's fine," Evie said setting down the bags of clothes.

"It is?"

"Yes. I know  you don't like shopping anyway. I had a good time with Jane."

"That's not the point Evie! You asked me to do something with you and I didn't do it! I'm a horrible friend," Mal said resting her head in her hands. 

"Mal, you are not a horrible friend. I understand. You and Ben finally got some alone time. It's fine. I got the clothes I needed," Evie said sitting next to her.

"So... You're not mad?" Mal asked looking at Evie.

"No. I'm fine," Evie said. Mal could tell that her best friend was still upset with her, but let it go.

"If you say so. We can go get dinner if you want."

"No. It's okay. I'm going to have dinner with Doug. We're have a double date with Jane and Carlos," Evie said.

"Double Date? When did you guys plan that?"

"Today, when me and Jane were shopping."

"Oh.... See you later?"

"Of course. We share a room," Evie said hugging her friend. She then stood up and walked to the bathroom. 

Mal groaned and laid back on her bed. She looked at her phone and found a text from Ben.

Ben: Hey babe ;)

Mal smiled and texted him back.

Mal: Hey to you too

Ben: Wanna have dinner with my mom and dad?

Mal: Sure. I have nothing else to do tonight.

And with that she turned off her phone and closed her eyes.