Chapter 17

A week later Ben finally found time to talk to Mal. He was worried about her. She hadn't attended many of her classes, and was avoiding Ben like the plague.

He walked up and knocked on Mal's and Evie's door. Evie answered, her face slightly green and grimacing. "Ben?"

"I'm here to talk to Mal.... Are you okay?" Ben asked.

"Define okay," Evie said.

"Um.... You're looking a little green," Ben said.

"Oh. That, yeah, I'm fine," Evie said. "I was just on my way out. I have a doctor's appointment."

"Why?"

"Just a checkup. Mal's sleeping. You can go on in," Evie said. And with that she grabbed her,purse and hurried down the hall. Ben sighed and walked into the dorm room. Mal was sleeping soundly, and Ben sat down on the chair next to her bed. He sat there for about 20 minutes watching her sleep before she woke up.

"Ben?" she asked opening her eyes wider.

"Hey Mal," he said brushing her hair off her face.

"What are you doing here? Where's Evie?" Mal asked sitting up.

"Evie had a doctor's appointment and I came to talk to you," Ben said.

"Okay.... Talk to me about what?"

"Why have you been avoiding me? Why haven't you been at class? Why haven't you been answering my calls?"

"One question at a time Ben," Mal said smiling a little. "I haven't been avoiding you purposely...."

"But why haven't you been at class?" 

"That one's a little harder to explain..."

"Well, I'm all yours today, so take your time."

"All mine? I thought, you had another counsel meeting today."

"I did.... But I moved it.... Spending time with you is more important to me than going to a cousel meeting."

"Ben, you're king.... People depend on you.... For.... You know... Living."

"I'm sure they can survive without me for a little bit."

"King Ben, we have an emergency in the kitchen," A butler called out from the hallway.

Mal raised an eyebrow at him. "They'll be fine," he said taking her hand. "What were you going to tell me that day in my office?"

"Nothing..."

"Mal..."

"Fine..... It's just.... Why don't I show you?" Mal asked getting out of bed.

"Show me what?" Ben asked. Mal rolled her eyes as she walked over to the mirror. She lifted her shirt and sure enough, there was a bump. She had gone to the doctor's a couple weeks ago with Evie and Doug. It turns out she's 10 weeks pregnant and Evie is 7.

"So.... You avoided me because you're gained a little weight? That's nothing to be ashamed of Mal. We've all gained weight. I blame Mrs. Potts myself."

"Ben, I didn't gain weight! I mean, I guess I did gain weight, but not from that."

"What do you mean?" Ben asked who was obviously confused. Mal sighed and put her shirt down. She walked over to him.

"I'm pregnant Ben. I'm pregnant," She said hugging him.

"Pregnant?"

"You know, having a baby.... I have conceived a child... You have impregnated me..."

"Okay, okay, I get it. How did this happen?" Ben asked sitting down.

"When a man and a woman...."

"I know how it happens.... I mean HOW did it happen?"

"Think back.... To about 3 months ago..."

"You mean by the enchanted lake?"

"Yes Ben," Mal said.

"We're going to be parents?" Ben asked. Mal nodded. "We're gonna be parents! I'm gonna be a mom, and you're gonna be a dad! I mean, you're gonna be the dad and I'm gonna be a mom! I mean..."

"Ben, calm down," Mal said smiling.

"We're gonna be parents Mal, parents," Ben said pulling her close.

"Parents...." Mal echoed.