Chapter 28

Sadness Warning!

Mal and Ben walked into the doctor's office. Doctor Sandra wanted to have the twelve-week checkup, even though they had just been to there a week ago.

"Hello King Ben and Lady Mal. Are you guys ready to get started?" A nurse asked leading them into a small room.

"Yes," Mal said.

"Okay. What we're going to do today is blood work, and another ultrasound," the nurse said. Mal and Ben nodded. "Doctor Sandra will do the ultrasound, but I will be taking your blood. Can I please see your arm?"

Mal held out her arm and the nurse took some blood. "Thank you. Doctor Sandra will be with you soon," the nurse said and left the room.

"You ready to see our baby?" Ben asked. Mal nodded. "You look tired."

"I am," Mal said yawning. This pregnancy was wearing on her. Especially with the press and media watching her every move. "But I'm okay."

"Hello King Ben. Lady Mal," Doctor Sandra said walking into a room.

"Hey," Mal said smiling. 

"Are you two ready to see your baby?" Doctor Sandra asked.

"Yes," the both answered excitedly. The doctor smiled and set up the ultrasound machine. Mal laid back and Doctor Sandra put the gel on her stomach. 

"Here is your baby," Doctor Sandra said pointing to a blob on the screen. She suddenly stopped and moved the wand around.

"What's wrong?" Mal asked. 

"I can't seem to find a heartbeat," she answered and pressed a button.

"But the baby could be hiding like last time, right?" Ben asked taking Mal's hand. The doctor pressed another button.

"No... I don't see a heartbeat at all on the monitor," Doctor Sandra said.

"What, what does that mean?" Mal asked with tears in her eyes.

"I'm sorry Lady Mal.... You've had a miscarriage," the doctor said and turned off the machine.

"No. No, no, no, no, no. There must be some mistake. I just heard the heartbeat last week. The baby is alive... The baby is alive...." Mal said. The doctor grimly looked at Ben.

"May I see you for a moment?" She asked. Ben nodded. 

"I'll be right back," he whispered to Mal. Mal nodded and wiped her eyes.

"Lady Mal has suffered a severe miscarriage. Do you know if she's had any bleeding?" Doctor Sandra asked.

"No. She was complaining about a couple cramps yesterday. But we both thought that was normal," Ben said glancing back at his girlfriend who was now sitting up and holding her stomach. 

"Was she under any kind of stress?" 

"Maybe a little. She's had media following her around. And counsel meetings..." Ben said and then groaned. "This is my fault."

"Sir, it's no one's fault. Sometimes these things happen. I am going to give her some medicine that will help with the bloating, and the other side effects," Doctor Sandra said. "Again, I am truly sorry for your loss." And with that, the doctor walked out of the room.

"Ben, please tell me the baby's okay. I know it is," Mal said hysterically as Ben walked over to her. 

"Mal... I'm so sorry," he said and embraced her in a hug. She cried into his chest as silent tears rolled down his cheeks. "We're going to be okay...."

"But.... But the baby. It was okay last week. We just saw it. We just heard it. There's got to be some mistake," Mal said pulling away from Ben.

"There is no mistake Mal.... We.... We lost our child...." Ben said. Mal screamed and buried her face in his chest once again. 

"No...." She said.

"Come on Mal, let's get you back to your room," Ben said and helped her stand up. She nodded slowly. 

"The doctor's gonna give you some medicine for the pain. You're going to be okay.... We're going to be okay," Ben said even though he wasn't even sure Mal could bounce back from this. 

The two silently walked back to her dorm room, and he helped her to her bed. "Get some rest. I'm.... I'm going to tell my mom and dad," Ben said. Mal nodded and hugged him again.

"It's a dream.... it's gotta be a dream," Mal said after Ben left. Pain shot through her stomach. "No.... Not a dream..... A nightmare...."

Dum, dum, dum..... Please don't hate me for this.