A New Lie

Wednesday was by far the best day on the timetable, mainly because it involved double history where Sam, Gabriel, Elsa and Alfie all sat relatively close together. 

Dr. Watson usually assigned work at the beginning of the lesson and then sat down and allowed the students to get on with it.  He was one of the more laid-back teachers who didn't mind if the class talked, as long as they got the work done.

"What's question four?"  Gabriel leaned left towards Sam.

Since the first day, the class had moved itself around a bit.  Gabriel and Sam now sat side by side in the front row, with Alfie and Elsa sat directly behind them. 

"Uh," Sam briefly checked his own answer, "The iron curtain made a more distinct divide between the capitalists and the communists."

"Thanks." Gabriel smiled, scribbling down the answer in slightly altered wording.  "Also," he added, "What's the plan for tonight?"

"I think you guys are coming back with us."

"Alright, cool."

~~

By the time they'd all finished the questions, the bell was only a few minutes from sounding.  Given that this was their second history lesson of the day, they were all looking forward to the lunch break that followed, allowing them the chance to stretch their legs. 

Quietly, Gabriel took his phone out of his bag and began texting under his desk. 

A couple of seconds later, Sam felt his own phone buzz softly from his jacket. He slipped it out and checked his notifications. He had one new message.

Trickster: Heya, Samoose.

Sam glanced over at Gabriel, who was staring straight ahead, pretending to be interested in what was written on the board.

Moose: Gabe, you are literally sat right next to me.  We could just talk.

Gabriel smiled as he received the message, resting his phone on his lap as he typed a reply.

Trickster: I could, but this is more fun.

Trickster: Also, do you have any candy?

Moose: No, but I do have this.

Gabriel looked up to see Sam handing him an apple.  He shook his head.

Trickster: I don't eat fruit.

Moose:  Why?

Trickster:  I just don't.

Moose:  Gabe, I can tell that you're hungry.  Just eat the damn apple.

Trickster:  *sigh*  fine.

Reluctantly, Gabriel took the apple and tucked it into his bag just as the bell went.  Soon, the whole class was on its feet as people slowly emptied out into the corridors. 

"I want to see you eat that."  Sam motioned towards the apple. 

Gabriel pouted, folding his arms across his chest in protest.