Boxes and Bamboo

"That the last one?" Dean dropped a dusty box on the kitchen floor.

"I think so," Sam called back from the basement.

So far, they hadn't been able to salvage much from the old boxes: mostly full of old car parts and rusty tools that would never again be used. However, they had found a couple of old photo albums and video tapes that Sam had insisted on keeping. Everything else was to be thrown in the mini-skip outside.

Bobby reappeared from outside.  "How's it looking?"

"Empty." Sam smiled, brushing off some of the dust from his clothes.

"Good."

They'd spent almost the whole afternoon clearing out the rubbish from the basement, trying to get it gone in time for the electrician, who was coming by the next morning to check all the power supplies. Dean had been convinced that they could do that themselves but Bobby had refused point blank.

"Right then," Bobby pulled his cap off and placed it on the table, "I want you all to go change and then I'll make us some tea."

"What's wrong with this?" Dean looked down at his shirt, feigning offence.

"It's covered in dirt, and I won't have it in my kitchen."

Dean sighed, accepted defeat, and made his way upstairs.

~~

The following Tuesday evening found the Winchesters, once again, in the Novak household. 

"Is this really a good idea?"  Sam sighed as he was handed a controller.

"Mario Kart is always a good idea," Gabriel replied, giving controllers to Cas and Alfie.  "We're playing in pairs," he added.

Naturally, Cas and Dean paired up, as did Gabriel and Sam, and Alfie and Elsa.  They each flipped a coin to decide who would play first: it ended up being Dean, Gabriel and Alfie. 

"Which course?"  Gabriel asked, selecting 150cc, grinning evilly. 

Dean shrugged.  "Doesn't matter.  I'll be winning either way."

"Fine."  Gabriel closed his eyes and chose a course at random, which turned out to be Rainbow Road.  He opened his eyes and swore under his breath.

"What's the problem?" Dean teased, "Want to give up already?"

"No." 

"Good."

The count down began and everyone fell silent. 

Gabriel was playing as Mario, Dean as Toad, and Alfie as Yoshi. 

Cas was finding it hard not to laugh as the race began and everyone's faces were full of deep concentration.  They looked ridiculous.  But, as Dean had explained before, Mario Kart was a very serious thing and it wasn't to be taken lightly.

Surprisingly, Dean was the first to fall of the road, or rather, be pushed off by Gabriel as he overtook him.  Dean then spent the following lap chasing Gabriel and bombarding him with red shells; this worked in Alfie's favour who, being completely ignored by the other two players, had managed to overtake them both and was now cruising in second place.

Cas had tried to tell Dean about this, but Elsa had shoved a hand over his mouth and had rather determinedly prevented him from doing so.