Sarah Knight

"All I'm saying," Balthazar continued, following Lucifer into the crowded canteen, "Is that you should be careful."

"Careful of the statues?"

"Yes!"

"Right." Lucifer rolled his eyes as he pulled up a chair and plonked himself down. "Charlie, this one's on you.  I told you not to let him watch that stupid show."

Charlie grinned.  "It's not stupid.  Doctor Who is the best show in existence."

"Yeah, according to you, which is the whole problem.  Balthazar's now scared of statues."

"He's what?"  Meg had materialised out of the crowd and now stood beside Balthazar, regarding him with an expression of mocking curiosity. 

"Ignore them."  Balthazar waved his brother's comment away. 

Meg raised an eyebrow as she hoisted herself onto the table.

"Where's Michael?"  Charlie asked, suddenly realising that Lucifer was sat on a chair for once, instead of on his boyfriend.

"Good point," Lucifer looked around, his eyes resting on Charlie's wrist watch, "We're already ten minutes in.  Where the hell is he?"

Without waiting for an answer, not that anyone could offer one, Lucifer tugged his mobile from his jean pocket and hit Michael's number on the speed dial.  The phone rang several times before it was answered.  "Micha?  Where are you?"

The mumbled reply of 'I'm ill' did very little to satisfy Lucifer, who barely had time to ask a few more questions before Michael had made his excuses and hung up. 

Lucifer was less than impressed. 

"Come on," Balthazar pushed his chair back, briefly smiling at Dean and Cas as they made their way over to the table, "We've got another class soon, we better go."

Lucifer scowled.  They had more than enough time before lessons resumed; he knew exactly why Balthazar wanted to leave now.  "You think I'm going to bunk, don't you?" 

"What, you?  Leave your education to go and see your boyfriend?  Never." 

Lucifer rolled his eyes.  "Yeah, well," he stood up, slinging his bag over his shoulder as he shoved his chair back in place, "Duty calls."  With that, he left the table, not even trying to hide the fact that he was striding directly towards the exit. 

No one stopped him.

~~

A knock at the door startled Michael. 

It wasn't so much the noise itself that made him jump, but rather the origin of it.  It hadn't come from the front door.  It had come from his bedroom door. 

There was someone in his house. 

He felt his heart rate rise. 

There was someone in his house. 

"Micha?" 

The sudden sound almost gave him a heart attack, and it took him a few moments to relax as he recognised it.  "Lucifer?"  His own voice cracked a little.

"It's me. Open up."

His vision slightly blurred, Michael stared at the door and at the chair he'd wedged underneath the handle.  It was the closest thing to a lock he'd been able to manage.  At least it was secure enough to do the job. 

"Micha.  I'm serious."

Slowly, he stood up and shuffled across the room where he paused, a hand resting on the tilted chair. He was hesitant to remove it.  He didn't want Lucifer to see him like this.