Novaks and Winchesters

The Novak household was only a ten minute walk from the high school. It sat on the end of a small block of houses, each almost identical in design, and could be identified by the three cars squished on to the narrow driveway. 

Showing Sam up to the door, Gabriel gave him a brief warning before they crossed the threshold that was somewhere along the lines of, "My family's crazy, don't say I didn't warn you," before throwing open the door and pulled the bewildered Winchester inside.

A redhead, who Gabriel introduced as Anna, greeted them cheerily as they entered the kitchen.  Sam found himself being instantly reminded of Charlie; the girls seemed to share the same smiley, upbeat personality and he briefly wondered if all redheads possessed a similar quality that seemed to brighten any space.

Gabriel was in the middle of pouring himself a fudge milkshake when he suddenly looked up.  "Sam has a sister called Elsa.  You two should meet up or something."

Anna smiled and agreed, purposefully failing to make the connection between Elsa's name and her own; she'd lived with Gabriel far too long to even consider rising to the bait — much to his disappointment.

Gabriel and Sam left the kitchen a few minutes later, walking through the living room on their way to the stairs.  Lucifer and Michael were both stretched out across one of the two sofas, their arms and legs entwined, as they watched some sort of action movie on the TV. 

"Get a room!"  Gabriel called.

Lucifer's only response was to lazily lift his middle finger.

"I swear Michael practically lives here," Gabriel continued, starting up the stairs, "I mean, I like Michael, he's actually pretty cool.  I just don't like Michael when he's making out with my brother and stuff.  It just feels weird."

Sam shrugged.  "I'll just have to cross that bridge when I come to it."

Gabriel kicked open the second door on the landing.  "We don't cross bridges, Samsquash, we burn them." 

"Right."

Gabriel's room was a cozy space.  Two of the walls were painted cream, another a teal colour, and the fourth papered with blue and green dandelions.  There was a large wardrobe and desk along one of the walls, and a single bed along the wall opposite, accompanied by a small window that overlooked the street out front. 

Gabriel made his way to the bed, stepping in between the piles of boxes and books that  littered his floor.  "I'm having an on going clean up in here," he explained as Sam sat down beside him, "To be entirely honest, I'm not even sure where most of this stuff even came from."

"Can I?"  Sam indicated to some of the boxes.

"Go ahead."

Sam pulled open the large box near his feet; most of its contents had been neatly wrapped in newspaper and stacked in rather creative ways.  He unwrapped the object on top and revealed a small wooden clock which, after turning it over several times, he then passed to Gabriel. 

"You see," the Novak smiled, "I'm pretty sure I've never seen that before in my life." 

"Then who wrapped it?"

"Good question.  Some of these boxes have been here since we moved in.  Some of it's mine, some of it's what the old owners decided to leave behind.  I've just never actually bothered to go through it," he shrugged, "But I need the space, and mum won't stop nagging me."

Sam nodded, wrapping the clock back up in its newspaper. It was actually quite hideous, so it wasn't hard to guess why the pervious owners had abandoned it.