Blackout

No one had said a word in ten minutes.  The only sound seemed to be the soft hum of the Chevelle's engine as it swung around another corner.

"You know where we're going?" Alfie whispered: both he and Elsa were sharing the backseat.

"I think so."

They'd both been staring intently out the window, making note of each new road they raced over. 

"What's happened?" Elsa spoke louder this time, directing her question at Bobby.

"I'll explain in a bit."

"Sir, we're going to the hospital," Alfie observed, "Why?"

Bobby sighed heavily as he slowed down the vehicle, taking the last turn and pulling into the hospital car park. "Alex has had a blackout. Jody had to call an ambulance. It's, uh— it's not looking good."

The duo were stunned into temporary silence.

Both of them had sensed where this was going but hadn't really prepared themselves for being right. Slowly, they exited the car.  Their feet began to carry them towards the entrance; their pace increasing from a walk to almost a sprint within a matter of seconds.

On entering the building, they were immediately greeted with a shout: "No running in the corridors!"

It hardly mattered.  They were already at the front desk, stealing the room number from the receptionist — 52C — and made their way up the first flight of stairs.

~~

Alex was only just awake when they entered the room. 

Jody sat at the side of the bed, her eyes red, crying softly.  She looked up when the pair entered, and managed something of a small smile as she got up, stopping only to kiss her daughter's cheek, before leaving the room.

Alex attempted to push herself up into a sitting position.  She was almost drained of strength, and gave up after a couple of seconds.  She sighed, more out of tiredness than frustration.

"Hey."  Elsa smiled.

"Hey."  Alex's voice cracked when she spoke. It didn't sound like her at all. 

Elsa remembered when they first met: seeing Alex so pale and still.  The only thing about her that had seemed truly alive were her eyes: light blue and fierce.

It was exactly the same now.

"So, uh," Alex cleared her throat, "What brings you two here?"

"You're kidding, right?" Alfie laughed.

Alex rolled her eyes half-heartedly.

"You wanna talk about it?"

"Not much to say really," Alex shrugged, "I was downstairs on the sofa, I went to get up, I fell back down. Next thing I know I'm in the back of an ambulance. Now I'm here."

"But at least you're—"

"Okay?"

"I was going more along the lines of not dead," Alfie finished.