Planning Picnics

Sam laughed as he allowed Gabriel to drag him up the grass hill to the highest point in the town, as well as one of the few points the rain hadn't managed to reach. Gabriel had insisted that they climb it, even though it was already well into the afternoon and they were both hungry.

"There." Gabriel pulled them up over the last rise, leaving Sam to soak in the view, mostly made grey and hazy by the rain, as he made his way over to the small cluster of trees nearby. He returned carrying a picnic basket and a blanket that he'd placed there earlier that morning.

As Sam tried to spot his house, Gabriel hastily laid out the blanket and sat down. He was already half way through unloading the basket when the Winchester wandered over to join him, looking quite impressed.

"Do I get points for creativity?" Gabriel grinned.

"Yeah, I'd say so," Sam chuckled as he sat down on the blanket, helping to finish unloading the basket.

It was clear that the Novak had worked hard to organise it; there were several types of sandwiches, fruit, snacks and, of course, lots of different candies as well as a slice of chocolate cake each.

Sam took the cheese and lettuce sandwich that Gabriel offered him and bit into it. It wasn't half bad.

"Nice?"

"Very," Sam grinned, but faltered when he saw Gabriel wasn't eating any himself. "You didn't poison this did you?"

Gabriel laughed. "Of course not, what do you take me for?"

"A trickster."

"Fair. But I wouldn't go as far as to poison my boyfriend." He smiled to himself as he said boyfriend.

"Prove it," Sam laughed, handing Gabriel a sandwich, "Take a bite."

"I don't eat sandwiches."

Sam raised his eyebrow, still going with the joke that Gabriel was trying to poison him. But, if he thought about it, he hadn't really seen Gabriel eat anything besides lollipops and other varying degrees of candies and sweets.

Gabriel shrugged. "What?  I don't."

He played it casual, but he was starting to feel a little uncomfortable. Maybe it would just be easier if he took a bite of the stupid sandwich. He looked at the food in his hands, two pieces of bread held together by cheese, butter, and salad. It didn't look very appetising.

"But, just to prove a point," Gabriel raised the food to his mouth and took a bite, trying not to pull a face as the strange flavours filled his mouth. "See? Not poison."

He put the sandwich back down again, wondering how Sam could actually find it nice when it tasted so disgusting.

"Okay, okay," Sam raised his hands in mock defeat, "I believe you."

They spent the next two hours sat on the hill top, slowly eating their way through the picnic as they talked.  Sam ended up lying leisurely across Gabriel's lap, laughing as the latter braided parts of his hair (he'd given up protesting within the first five minutes). 

Sam had then tried to braid Gabriel's hair in turn, but the Novak had refused to cooperate and wouldn't even be bribed with a lollipop. Mainly because he already had one in his pocket, but Sam didn't need to know that; it wasn't going to turn into a hostage situation.

~~

Around three o'clock, the pair packed up the picnic and made their way back down the hill. Originally, Gabriel had attempted to roll down it but had started going too fast and had had to yell for Sam to help, who had found chasing after Gabriel immensely funny, much to the Novak's annoyance.