Ring

Cas woke up to find himself restrained. He almost panicked until he realised what was holding him down: a pair of strong arms around his waist, accompanied by the soft breaths of a second person against his shoulder.

Rolling over, Cas came face to face with his sleeping boyfriend. He wanted to smile at the sight but, for some reason, he was beginning to feel a little sick and his head was swimming.

"Dean," Cas croaked, placing his hand on his boyfriend's right shoulder, "Dean, move."  He had to request this several times before Dean woke with a start and shifted backwards.

"Where are you going?" He rubbed his eyes as the Novak clambered over him and stumbled towards the bedroom door.

"Bathroom."

After a couple of minutes, Dean hauled himself out of bed and made his way to the bathroom. He knocked lightly on the door and let himself in on receiving a mumble of approval from the other side.

Cas was sat on the floor by the wall, holding his head over the toilet seat and looking quite pale.

"You okay, Angel?"

Cas smiled slightly at the pet name.  "Yeah," he replied, subconsciously stroking the ring he was wearing, "Except I think I might throw up."

"Drank too much, huh?" Dean smiled, taking a seat next to his boyfriend and gently rubbing circles over his back. "Cheer up, I've got the perfect cure for hangovers."

Cas lifted his head slightly and quirked an eyebrow.

"Pancakes," Dean grinned.

~~

Cas had managed not to throw up in the end, but the same couldn't be said for Gabriel, who'd eaten too much candy on top of what he'd drunk.

Half an hour later, Dean had Cas, Sam, Elsa, Gabriel and Alex all sat around the kitchen table as he set about making pancakes.

Sam and Gabriel were both still half asleep and leaning on each other for support; Elsa and Alex also bore signs of sleep deprivation, but were still managing to compare last night's photos on their phones, giggling every so often when they found a good one.  Cas, on the other hand, had his arms stretched out across the table as he stared into space, or possibly at Dean's ass, as he was looking in that general direction.

"You get a new ring?" Sam asked suddenly, indicating to the small black band of metal wrapped around the Cas' right index finger.

The Novak smiled and looked down at the ring himself.  It was plain black around the outside, save a small pair of etched golden wings, and, as he slid it off his finger and handed it to Sam, a swirled engraving could be seen on the inside: My Angel.

"Were d'you get it?" Sam inquired, passing the ring back.

"Dean.  He gave it to me last night."

Alex flicked through her photos from the previous night until she found one of Cas: smiling widely and waving at the camera. Sure enough, he was wearing the ring.

The Novak's face filled with colour.  "When did you take that?"

"Yesterday."

"Okay, who wants one?" Dean asked, saving Cas from further embarrassment as he placed a plate piled high with pancakes in the middle of the table.

A silence arose as people were suddenly too busy stocking up on food to talk to one another.

Dean took a seat next to Cas and squeezed his hand lightly under the table. The Novak smiled warmly and, leaning across, trailed a flutter of kisses along the side of Dean's face, causing heat to rise to his cheeks.

Sam fake gaged from the other side of the table.

"So, you idjits are finally up."  Bobby nodded as he strode into the kitchen, taking a pancake from the pile and rolling it up like an old scroll.  "Jody will be here in an hour," he added, "So you've all been warned."

Alex rolled her eyes, stretched out in her chair and yawned.  "I'll be ready."

~~

The six of them had left the table shortly after, all attempting to clean themselves up and look a little more like teenagers and a little less like dead homeless people.  In the end, they settled for something in between. 

Jody arrived at eleven o'clock exactly and was greeted at the door by Bobby.  She then proceeded to speak briefly with everyone else, before Alex had finally accepted her fate and come downstairs to see her mother.  They'd only stayed only a few minutes more.

After Alex had left, Dean had declared that it was time for a movie, and had then changed his mind and decided that they would have a Breaking Bad marathon because: 'this wasn't a democracy, it was a dictatorship, and he could do what ever he liked.'

Gabriel, who had never seen the show before, had been infinitely more interested in braiding Sam's hair — until Jesse had appeared.  Then he'd called shotgun.

Dean sighed.  "You can't do that.  He's not real."

"That's not the point," Elsa argued, "The real reason you can't do that is because I already called shotgun ages ago."

"Not fair."

"Um, hello?  Boyfriend right here!"  Sam laughed, waving a hand in front of Gabriel's pouting face.

He shrugged. "Sorry, Samsquash."

Cas had then proceed to loudly shush everyone, complaining that they were talking too much and he couldn't hear what was going on. 

~~

Bobby came back into the living room several hours later, after working out in the yard on one of the cars.  He smiled to himself as he looked at the five teenagers, all sprawled out across the room and fast asleep, the TV still blaring in the background.

He left the room briefly and returned holding several large blankets.  Quietly, he lowered a blanket over each sleeping person, being careful not to accidentally wake anyone; especially Dean or Elsa, who were easily started if woken unexpectedly, and would most likely try and defend themselves from an imaginary attack.

Bobby sighed.  He wished John had had the sense and the decency to raise his children properly instead of training to be soldiers: obedient and always alert.

Switching off the TV, Bobby left the room and headed to the small staircase that lead down into the basement.  He hadn't been down there since the Winchesters had moved in and had insisted on 'checking the place out.' 

Before that, it had been years since Bobby had entered the place.  It was full of old, worn boxes and a various array of things he'd acquired over the years. 

Turning the light on, he surveyed the dust coated room.  He'd always meant to clear it out.  He swept his gaze around it once, before turning out light the and going back up the stairs. 

He'd ask his kids to help him sort through all the boxes later, when the others had gone.  If he started without them, there'd be a fuss, despite the fact that he hardly expected to find anything of interest down there.

~~

Cas and Gabriel left around two o'clock when Anna came by to pick them up. 

Dean, Sam and Elsa had waved them off and then, seeing as they were now awake, had wandered aimlessly about the house for a while, before Bobby had chosen to employ them in doing something useful — he'd finally told them about his plans for the basement and had asked them all to change into clothes that they wouldn't mind getting dirty.

Unsurprisingly, none of them changed; all of them opting to stay in their jeans, loose t-shirts and various other layers of clothing, mostly of the flanneled variety.

"Right," Bobby nodded, fixing his cap a little more firmly over his head, "Let's get started."

A/N

As always, I apologise for any mistakes.  I hope you are enjoying the story so far, and it's brilliant getting all your lovely comments and support. 

~ Kat