The Beginings of Sabriel

As soon as class ended, Sam packed up and waited for Elsa to join him. 

Gabriel was waiting behind too, talking to another boy from the class, and was eyeing the pair with obvious curiosity. 

Registering his stares, Elsa remembered the note and, seeming to be on the same thread of thought, Sam produced the piece of paper for her to read.  She scanned the words and the doodle and nodded distantly. 

"What do you think?"  Sam asked, still unsure.  "Maybe I should say something to him?"

Elsa gave a small shrug and smiled in response, tilting her head to the side slightly and blinking, as if to clear sleep from the corners of her eyes.  She lifted herself onto her brother's desk and watched as he made his way over to where the two boys were talking. 

"Uh, hi," he said, smiling. "Thanks for the note." 

Elsa thought this sounded a little more like a question than an actual statement.

"Don't sweat it, Samsquash," Gabriel replied, popping a lolly into his mouth.

"It's Sam."

"Sure thing, Samantha." Gabriel waggled his eyebrows and twirled his lolly round his mouth.

Sam thought about pointing out just how much sugar that lolly contained but, aside from potentially seeming rude, the boy seemed to be enjoying himself and Sam didn't want to spoil his fun. 

"Gabriel, stop teasing him."  It was the first time the second boy had spoken and both Winchesters turned to look at him.

"This is Alfie," Gabriel introduced.

"Actually, my name is Samandriel," the boy amended. "I'm Gabriel's brother."

"One of many."  Gabriel reached out, ruffling his hair. 

Samandriel pushed him off.  "As I was saying," he continued, "My name is Samandriel, but most people just call me Alfie." 

Elsa, who had been privately admiring Samandriel's name, became confused.  She wasn't the only one. 

"Sorry, but how did you get Alfie from Samandriel?" Sam asked.

"No one knows, Sammy," Gabriel chimed in. "It just happened."

"It's Sam."

"Okay, Moose."

Elsa suppressed a smile at the last nickname, trying to picture her brother as a moose. It wasn't really that hard: all he needed were the antlers.

"Gabriel," Alfie warned.

"Anyways," Gabriel grinned, holding up his hands in mock defeat, "How about you two come and sit with us today?" 

He didn't really wait for an answer and was at the door in a matter of seconds, waiting expectantly for the others to follow.

~~

"Usually," Gabriel explained, plonking himself down on a bench beside Sam, "We sit in the canteen with the rest of our group, but it's rammed today, and I think I'd rather we stayed out here."

For a moment, Gabriel quietened as Alfie and Elsa seated themselves. Then, as soon as everyone seemed relatively comfortable, he began talking again.

"Okay then, so let me get this right," he removed the lolly from his mouth and used it to point to Sam and Elsa in turn, "You two are Winchesters, right?  From... where was it? Kansas?  Seems cool.  Was it nice there? I bet it was.  Well, it's nice here too, obviously, I mean I'm here so why wouldn't it be." He paused for a second to replace his lolly back in his mouth before continuing to talk, not allowing room for interruption.

For some strange reason, Sam found this assault on the ears somewhat enjoyable, rather than rude.  There was just something about hearing Gabriel speak that was almost relaxing; especially when he started talking about something he loved, his eyes would go all sparkly and light up like little Christmas lights.

There's a reason he was named after an angel, Sam thought. 

Almost immediately after he thought it, Sam wanted to take it back.  It wasn't as if he had said it out loud, but he still felt suddenly awkward and weird.  He wasn't sure why he was just thinking about Gabriel like that or, more to the point, what 'like that' even meant. 

Elsa was watching Sam with interest.

It looked as though he was hiding a blush, but she couldn't see why that would be the case.

On looking up, Sam swore he saw his sister's eyes shift suddenly from staring in his direction to watching Alfie who, in turn, was watching a bird in a nearby tree.

For a moment, he watched Elsa almost suspiciously.  Then, dismissing his thoughts, he turned back to Gabriel, who appeared to be lost in describing some sort of fish in an imense amount of detail.

~~

After a few more minutes, Alfie turned his attention away from the bird.  He decided it would be impolite not to converse with Elsa, who was currently uninvolved in any form of discussion and had instead been gazing out across the grounds, as if content in a daydream. 

Alfie briefly wondered whether it would be okay to disturb her after all but, concluding that she didn't look too distant, he decided it was safe to say something.  (Past experiences with Charlie had taught him not to interrupt someone if they were too focused on something, because they could be thinking about their OTP, or having a case of 'the feels.')

"So, Elsa," he turned to face her more directly, "Do you like it here?  So far, I mean?"

She turned and smiled at him, nodding. 

"I hope you don't mind me asking but, you do speak, don't you?"

Elsa looked a little taken back by this question, but recovered herself almost immediately.  She almost nodded in response, but checked herself. This time she was here to stay.  It wouldn't hurt to actually speak to someone.

"Yes," she clarified. "I can speak."

"Okay." Alfie looked relieved. "Sorry, it's just that up until now I hadn't heard you say anything, and I don't know any sign language."

"That's okay.  Neither do I."

"What sort of things do you like?" Alfie asked, after a stretch of silence between them, of course not a total silence: Gabriel was still mid-speech.

She thought for a moment.  "I like apples, and milkshake, and my boots."  She moved her legs around so he could see. 

He smiled.  "They're nice."

"What about you?"

"I like ice creams, dances, and fireflies."

She nodded thoughtfully.  She'd never seen fireflies. 

The bell sounded and Gabriel got up, dragging Sam along to their next lesson, one of the rare ones of which the Winchesters didn't have together. 

"Do you know what you have?" Alfie asked.

Elsa puzzled for a moment.

Dutifully, Alfie took a look at her timetable.  "Literature.  We have the same.  Shall I show you the way?"  

She smiled. "Thank you," she added remembering that she could talk and, more importantly, that she wanted to.

A/N

I wasn't so sure about this chapter, but I needed a way to properly introduce Gabriel and Samandriel. 

Please comment any thoughts or suggestions.

I'll be updating soon.

*Hands out free pie whilst you wait.*

~ Kat