What's up with Cas?

"Cas!" Dean had turned into the next corridor to find the Novak alone and staring almost blankly at the empty space in front of him.

Cas recognised the voice and turned.

The Winchester stood a little way behind him, breathing slightly more heavily than usual, his bright green eyes, that were full of worry, meeting Cas'.

He didn't move.

His breath caught.

He started to cough.

Dean moved to stand next to Cas, who was now doubled over and having a coughing fit, and placed a hand firmly on his shoulder to steady him.

It took Cas almost a full minute to cease coughing and begin breathing normally again. He then straightened himself up and looked at Dean, painfully aware that his own blue eyes were glistening with tears.

He blinked them back rapidly.

"You okay, buddy?" Dean's hand was still on his shoulder.

"I'm fine, thank you." Cas was rigid.

Dean removed his hand and stepped back. "You sure you're alright?"

Silence.

"Come on, I'll walk you to the canteen." Dean started to move, but stopped when he saw Cas wasn't following him. "What?"

"I don't need your help, Dean."  His voice was barely audible.

"Cas—"

"No." He turned, slipping his hands safely inside his pockets, and walked back the way he had come.

Dean was left standing in the empty corridor, at a complete loss.

Perhaps Cas really did hate him after all.

~~

Dean pulled up the spare chair beside Charlie as soon as he'd entered the canteen. Almost immediately, she began chatting away happily, intent on trying to teach him what a ship was because, apparently, she did not mean a boat.

Cas didn't appear for the rest of break and, though Dean felt odd admitting it, he was growing increasingly worried about his new friend, if it was even a friendship: Cas certainly didn't seem to think so.

Dean sighed.

Why did he even care so much in the first place? He'd only been introduced to the Novak yesterday, and had barely had a proper conversation with him.

It didn't make sense for him to feel this worried about him.

What was the world coming to?

~~

After carrying out Balthazar's instructions, Alfie and Elsa had returned to the designated group table in an almost unbroken silence.

Alfie, who wasn't normally a huge talker anyway, had remained even quieter than usual after the encounter with Cas and had remained undisturbed by his companion throughout the walk back, except when she'd decided to take his arm to steer him after he had made a third wrong turn and nearly walked into a cupboard.

When they'd taken their seats, Gabriel started telling everyone about their P.E. lesson, and how he had accidentally sent a fellow class mate to the hospital wing, but had also won the game for his team.

Sam watched as the Novak recounted the event through eccentric gestures and dramatic pauses, complete with conflicting facial expressions told a story of their own. Clearly, the Novak wasn't sure whether to feel guilty about Garth, or happy about the win.