Introductions

Dean took his time gathering his things, allowing the rest of the class to filter out before him.

Several people lingered in the room and he had no choice but to look up as he turned to make his way to the door. His own bright green eyes instantly locked on to a pair of deep blue ones, belonging to a raven-haired boy who was starting at him from across the room. Dean barely had a second to take in the boy's appearance, before a rather excitable redhead bounded up to him and blocked his view.

"Sup, Bitch."

The greeting took Dean by surprise.

The redhead didn't appear to notice. "Name's Charlie," the girl continued, beaming brightly.

Dean was very aware of how startled he must look and attempted to play it off by raising an eyebrow at her. "Dean," he returned.

"Yeah, I know, I'm in your class. Maybe you'd realise that if you had been actually paying attention." She was still smiling, though Dean felt a little put out at the realisation that she'd been watching him.

"Who ya looking at?" She questioned, catching him off guard for the second time as she turned around to try and follow his gaze; as Charlie moved out of his line of vision, Dean saw, with some disappointment, that the raven-haired boy had gone.

"Huh." Charlie turned back, eyeing him questioningly.

Dean vaguely wondered if she was trying to flirt with him, but decided to brush the thought off. She was probably just trying to be nice.

"Are you just going to stand there then, or are you coming to break?" Charlie inquired.

Dean briefly considered declining the offer and going to check on Sam and Elsa, but he decided that they'd probably have already made friends and would want to sit with them instead. He should probably do the same.

"Sure." He smiled passively. "Why not?"

"Great," she grinned, "Also, I noticed that you took zero notes, so feel free to copy mine."

"Uh, thanks."

~~

Charlie led Dean into the canteen, which was already full of students trying to buy snacks and find their friends, and showed him over to a large table, where several people had already pulled up chairs: none of the whom looked like anyone Dean would have normally chosen to hang out with. They looked like a bunch of misfits, completely out of place with the rest of the student groups within the hall.

"Everyone, this is Dean," the redhead announced as they approached the table. "Dean meet— well, lets introduce ourselves. I'll go first," she took a dramatic deep breath before continuing, "I'm Charlie, I'm seventeen, I'm a huge fangirl and am very protective of my ships."

Dean had no idea what that meant.

"Oh, yeah," Charlie remembered, "And I'm about as gay as they come," she finished, looking extremely pleased with herself.

Dean smiled, he could feel himself warming to her already. Perhaps this wasn't so bad after all.

"Someone else go," Charlie ordered.

The person to her left piped up. "Kevin. Fourteen. I like books."

"You mean you love books." The newest voice belonged to the next person along, a sweet looking blonde girl with deep brown eyes. "Kevin here is in advanced placement," she explained. "He's smarter than almost anyone."

Dean privately doubted this: not because he didn't believe that Kevin was intelligent, but because he was sure that Sam was smarter.

"I'm Jo, by the way," the blonde continued. "I'm sixteen and I help my mum run the local café. It's the best in town." She looked very proud of this.