/16/

Skyler.

I gulp down and glance at the notebook before refocusing my attention on Zayn's suspicious features.

When he approches me, I snap out of my frozen state and quickly kneel down to retrieve the notebook, hiding it inbetween my fingers.

"What's that?" He asks, I keep my face expressionless.

"I.. uh, It's.. It's mine." I curse at myself for stuttering.

Smooth, Skyler.

He raises an eyebrow, rubbing his beard. "Ah, yours?"

I nod. His eyes flick to mine, his mouth opening in a smug grin.

"Show me." He demands, and although he looks calm, his tone is one of authority.

"No." I say flatly. He steps closer, maintaining our eye contact.

"Hand it over." He says as he stops moving, our bodies a step away.

I keep my face flat, showing no emotion although nervousness is bottling up in my stomach.

He surprises me when he suddenly grabs my hand and turns me abruptly, crashing my back to his front. I gasp when he snatches the notebook from my hands.

"Hey!" I try to release myself, but he's too strong. I watch as he opens it, trying to find something, but it's hard considering he's using one hand.

He finally releases me, focusing on the notebook in his hand, his eyes squint as he flips through the blank pages, until he finds the one with the note written on.

I bite down on my lip as his eyebrows pull into a frown.

"Where did you get this?" He snaps, pointing at the note.

"Jason's." I reply, not looking back at him.

"Are you fucking kidding me?! It's been hours! Why would you hide this?!" He yells, and if looks could kill, I'd be dead by now.

"I.. don't know." I look at my feet as I realise I have absolutely no excuse. Well Shit.

"Do you have any idea what this simple note can help with? We flipped the whole apartment to find shit that can give us information, and you go and hide this?!" He hisses at me, throwing the notebook over the bed.

"Look, I admit I shouldn't have hid this-"

"No shit Sherlock," He mocks. Making me clench my jaw.

"No need to be an asshole about it, I'm trying to say that.." I sigh, "I'm sorry. I don't know why I hid this, and I understand why you're mad at me-"

"Because you're damn stupid." His words replace the guilty feeling inside of me with anger.

"Don't you speak to me like that." I point my finger at him. "I don't work for you, I don't have to do everything you tell me."

"Oh really? I'm helping you! You should be damn thankful."

"I never asked for you to tag me along, I didn't sign up for this shit!"

"Well it happened, so you better deal with it." He spits, "And instead of being an ungrateful bitch, try listening to me, maybe you'll do something not stupid for once."

His words sting. I admit they hurt, but I heard worse. So he's not going to get to me.

My fists clench on either side of my body, and I have the urge to punch his spotless face.

I never said I was ungrateful, everything happened so fast and I still have no idea why this is happening.

"Just leave." I tell him, my voice coming out calm as I look away.