|Chapter Thirty Seven|

Ruby

     I just arrived back to New York just for a week though and today is a Thursday. I decided to go drop my luggage in my apartment first then pack an overnight bag which I did hastily. Why? I can't wait to see Ethan. It's been a month since he proposed to me and I said Yes. I decided to take a cab to his place so I don't spoil my surprise. His footman, Rick greeted me with surprise,

"Ma'am, Boss did not tell me you were going to come around."

"Yeah, I just came back. I want to surprise him. Can you keep this quiet?"

"Yes ma'am."

"Thank you." I appreciated and he bowed slightly as I digged into my purse for his house keys. He had given me the keys two months into our relationship. I stepped into the penthouse, everything looked neat and in place. That's one thing about my Ethan, no matter how busy he is, he never lets his house get untidy. He says it irritates him.

I went to drop my bag in my room, a door next to his and them of course I went into the kitchen, noodles first. I garnished it with some veggies and it was done before I knew it. I sat down by the kitchen table to eat and then I decided to call Ethan, it rang a couple of times before he picked,

"Hey baby."

"Hey yourself. Are you busy?"

"Not for you. How is the preparation going?"

"Fine, everything is going fine."

"Thank God the wedding is next week so I can have you back here with me."

"Ethan, you saw me a month ago."

"Whatever."

"Have you been eating?"

"Of course. Most times I am too tired to cook so I just buy food on my way back."

"Ethan! You have to cook and eat healthy meals not all those microwaved and recycled nonsense."

"When you come back you will do that."

"No. Promise me you will cook when you get back from work today."

"Okay, I promise, I even want to leave the office early today. I should be home by 07:00pm. I am tired."

"Yes, that's what you get for overworking yourself. Even our Bible says that we should take a rest."

"Please don't go all preachy on me now Madame Preacher."

"Okay! I will see, I mean call you later. Don't buy food tonight. Cook."

"Okay Mum, bye. I love you baby."

"I love you too." I replied looking at the clock in the dining room, it was some minutes before five. 'Okay, I should be able to come up with something before seven', I thought. I ate my noodles quickly and then went to check his cabinets and fridge. I definitely have to go to the market. And so I went, since the time I have is short, I had to make do with the mini market which was a few blocks from Ethan's penthouse. I bought all I needed and made my way back home then I swung into action.

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *   *   *

Ethan

     Devin drove us into my penthouse's garage and I got out of the car. Gosh! If there was another name for being tired, I was it right now. I nodded to my doorman's greeting and as I made to unlock my door, my nose caught the smell of food. Where is this aroma coming from? I occupied the whole floor here. I unlocked my door and stepped in, I was greeted with that tantalizing smell. This time it was imminent. I turned to face Devin who was just coming in, I asked perplexed. Nobody was in the apartment neither did I give anybody my key.

"What's happening here?"

"I know not. Let's check the kitchen may be one of your exes are playing tricks." Devin said. I forgot joking is his hobby. We went towards the kitchen and thank God I was not irked to a point of no return because I collided with the last person on my mind and I had to shoot my hands forward to catch her from connecting with the floor. Ruby! She clung to me,

"Hey baby." She said, her voice even more tantalising than the smell.

"Really? You called me a few hours ago to advice me about food and you conveniently forgot to mention that you are back. You need to be spanked. You just added ten years to my age." I said,

"You look as handsome as the first day I met you." She replied smiling,

"Awwwn, I missed your sweet words." I said as I held her closer,

"I know you did." She said and I kissed her but Devin decided to act like a nuisance and started faking a cough.

"Oh, Devin! How are you doing?" Ruby asked,

"Never been better dear. You are looking beautiful in that blouse, is it new?" Devin replied,

"Yes, thank you." Ruby answered,

"Devin! Man, just get the hell out of here. What's your business with her blouse?" I asked a little furious, this man just like getting on my nerves,

"Stop being jealous baby, it doesn't suit you. Devin, would you like to eat?" Ruby said as she kissed me on the cheek and entered the kitchen,

"Of course, who says no to food? Though I would appreciate it more if you can pack it for me so some tiger won't tear me apart for lingering around."

Ruby laughed, "All right, I am on it." I sauntered into the kitchen grumbling as I tried to see if there was anything worth popping into my mouth.

"So, Devin is going to eat the food you wife cooked even before I taste it."

"Wife-to-be, Ethan. Now go shower and do not attempt to take any of that chicken otherwise your hands will bear the brunt of it with this hot spoon."

"Yes my iron lady."

By the time I had finished bathing and joined my love in the kitchen, Devin had gone. She shooed me to the dining table to have my seat while she served us then she sat by my right. The food tasted like heaven as usual. I complemented her and that was how we started talking. We finished our meal in no time and moved our discussion to the sitting room.