|Chapter Sixteen|

Ruby

     My worst nightmare did not just happen, did it? Ohmigod! It just did! This can't be real! Somebody has to get some supplies at the Store and that person just has to be ME. What if I meet with any of the Daniels? What if Nick sees me? What would I do? How would I react?

My heart kepy thumping wildly and loudly as I forced myself to wear a blue jean, tank top and a jacket while holding my sunglasses which I hope will hide me from sight. I let my hair flow down I took my handbag that held all my necessities. I stepped back down to the kitchen where I collected Big Sis' credit card and I left. I walked out and then entered a cab.

Minutes later I was in front of the Store, I kept looking nervously behind my back as I grabbed a cart

Minutes later I was in front of the Store, I kept looking nervously behind my back as I grabbed a cart. I tried to concentrate on picking the Supplies I was sent to get and some minutes later, I was waiting my turn to be answered by the cashier with just three people before me. I was happy I had gotten through shopping so I began to calm down only to have my name being shouted,

"Ruby!" My eyes shot up immediately in dread and I dropped the bottle in my hand. Ethan?

"I am so sorry I startled you." He apologized and he began to walk nearer as blackness seeped through my sight and I could feel myself falling.

*  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *

Ethan

     I just finished meeting with one of my cousins at his office some blocks away and I decided to come pick some chocolates for my cousin's kids in the Store. I looked around and got their favorite and then I moved towards the cashier when I saw a familiar figure,

"Ruby!" I exclaimed in surprise, what could she be doing in Nashville as my eyes surveyed her casual outfit, this would be the first time I would be seeing her on denim. Shit! She just dropped a bottle. Did I scare her?

"I am so sorry I startled you." I apologized and I went closer to her then suddenly she fell, two strides and I was holding her in my arms, the other customers were suggesting help amd coming closer, a staff, Terry, one of my good friends here, brought a bowl of water and I sprinkled it on her face as I held her with my left arm.

She gasped and the few customers were quiet then suddenly they were all talking at once. I told Terry to pack her supplies and handed him my basket too then I gave him my credit card. I guided Ruby out of the Store and I took her to a more quiet Restaurant two doors away and soon  we were seated.

"Are you okay?" I asked her as I placed my left hand over hers on the table. She tried to smile as she nodded,

"Thanks for...for helping me."

"We are friends, remember?" I said smiling and took my eyes off her as I beckoned to a waiter. He came closer, Barnes, my man, he said,

"Good afternoon Mister King, I will be your server for today, what can I get you?"

"I will have two beef roll and red wine just the way I like it. Ruby?"

"Umm, I will have pepperoni pizza with water." She said looking up from her card as Barnes left and I raised an eyebrow at her,

"Sue me, I love pizza."

"Good to know the feisty Ruby is back." I said and she lowered her gaze,

"What happened? Were you feeling lightheaded? Hungry? Scared?"

"No!" She retorted as she folded her arms across her breast. Her red eyes even look like flames of fire when she gets angry, I smiled. Just then, Barnes brought our order and we murmured our thank-yous respectively as we dug in.

"So?" I pressed on,

"So what?" She asked as her eyebrows shot up in irritation i guess,

"Were you scared? Hun...?"

"Shut up! I just feel uneasy about Nashville."

"Oh! So you don't live here?"

"No, I came to help my Big Sis...Ohmigod! They would be expecting me back home." She said as she tried to stand up but I stopped her by holding her hands,

"Come on, your supplies are already packed, stop panicking, just a few more minutes and we will be done here."

"Okay, how come you are known around here? Do you live here?"

"Nope, I came to visit my Cousin's family here, I will be going back to L.A on Sunday. When are you going back?"

"Sunday too, after Church."

"We could go back together."

"I will be going back by bus so no chance with that."

"We could meet at the bus station and leave together."

"You are quite persistent, aren't you?"

"Come on that's what friends do, they hang out, go on road trips, make memories."

"All right, stop the lecture already." She said throwing up her hands in defeat and we talked a little more before we left but not before i collected her number of course.  We went back to the Store and I collected her supplies from Terry the staff at the Store and she started complaining about the money but I shut her up and flag down a taxi for her.

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *

Ruby

     Finally, I got back to my Big Sis' house. As I approached the backyard, Chloe stood up,

"We were just about sending out a search party for you."

"Oh please. I was just delayed."

"By what? Or by who?" Chloe asked blinking thoughtfully. Just then Big Sis came out from the kitchen backdoor.

"Ruby! You got us worried. Did you miss your way?"

"She met someone." Chloe answered,

"Oh my God! Out with it!" Big Sis squealed,

"It is nobody special. He is just a friend of Julie at L.A. I kinda fainted and he helped me and fed me. He also paid for the supplies."

"My dear, that is a keeper. If he can feed you without it being in his schedule then he is a keeper."

"Well, I ain't a seeker so I ain't interested in keeping him."

"Girl..." Big Sis started saying but I interrupted her,

"He is just a friend so, end of discussion."

"Okay ma'am. Sort out the supplies you bought." Big Sis said as she stepped into the house and I set to work.