|Chapter Ten|

Ruby

     True to Mrs Butler's words, Chloe brought me some clothes, pyjamas and more than I needed for a night. We bonded through that and soon we had dinner. I learnt Heather was going back to school the next day.

The next day, I woke up and uttered a prayer of Thanksgiving, I still could not believe I was out of Nick and Uncle Ken's reach. I took my bath and as I was dressing, Mrs Butler knocked and I opened the door for her. She checked on me and left to prepare breakfast.

Soon, I, Chloe and Mrs Butler (Okay seriously, I need to stop calling her Mrs Butler) were on our way out. By the time we got back into the compound, the car was filled with a number of sneakers and sandals, a backpack, handbags, dresses for church, school, socks, tops, skirts, underwear, denim trousers, shorts, face caps, scarves, coats and several, several other items and to top it all, a new phone!

I was wondering what Mrs Butler, I mean Mum was up to when she drove to a phone outlet. There she requested for an iPhone 5 and this phone was bought in my name with my own signature on the receipt. I was told to let the phone charge for a while before using it. I was so elated. On our way home, she pointed out their church to me. It looked beautiful and homely even from afar. Chloe engaged me in different conversations to which I responded shyly but I was beginning to warm up to her.

A week after, I was enrolled into Chloe's school and I resumed my class. The teachers were real nice and patient and I made a couple of friends who I read with but it all ends at the entrance of the school.

I was also made to see a therapist once in two weeks, Mum would drive me there herself.

On Sundays, I go to church with the Butlers, the sermons were always refreshing and it assured me of a better tomorrow. Two months after I moved in with the Butlers, during a program, I received the Holy Spirit the evidence of speaking in tongues. It was heavenly. I began to see and experience new levels in Christ.

The days flew by and I was in my finals in high school. I applied to a couple of Universities and I was accepted at Columbia University. I went through all my registration and started living in one of the dormitories and then I focused on school. The Butlers were really proud of me.

University made me realize something and that is I was crazy about business. So, after University, I went to Columbia Business School for my postgraduate studies and my area of focus was Human Resources Management. It was located at Manhattan and I worked at a diner close to school in my free time.

I graduated from Columbia finally with a Certificate to my name to acknowledge me a human resources manager.

Soon I sent out job applications as far as Los Angeles just to humor myself and their interview was done on online. I waited to receive a word for an interview.

I was called for an interview in the five firms I applied to and i went.

A few days later, the firms at Manhattan and Massachusetts emailed me, they were sorry they couldn't accept me. I was disappointed but I kept my hopes high.

By the end of the next week, I was still jobless and still at Albany. Chloe had bought a store in Long Island, New York and she is into flowers and paintings because she is good at painting and my Big Sis just got married some months before. She and her husband, Zach are both in the medical line and they are settled in Brentwood, Nashville. Michael, the Butlers only son is still living in his penthouse at Hempstead and spending all his hours in the courtroom. I and Mum keep urging him to get a girl and settle down but it keeps falling on deaf ears.

 I and Mum keep urging him to get a girl and settle down but it keeps falling on deaf ears

The only place I have not received a call or message is from the I.T firm at Los Angeles and I am sure, they probably did not want to waste their time with me. I knew the firms I picked out are high firms but I did it because I was sure of myself but now I don't know anymore.

-----------------------------------
Hello Sweethearts,

Our Ruby is all grown up. Is she ever going to get the job?
Tell me what you think.

Don't forget,  your vote is equal to my payment for writing,  your comments pushes me to work harder and your shares make me ecstatic.