|Chapter Six|

Michelle Butler

     I was driving at a low speed when I saw a girl crossing the road, I did not know why I felt nervous because there was no way I could meet and hit the girl. Also, there was enough space between us and she could reach the other side before I got to that spot. As I got closer to where the girl was, she fell.

I stepped on the brake and stopped the car. My heart in my mouth, I got out of the car and moved towards her as passersby also gathered around her, I didn't hit her but she was unconscious. The passersby were still suggesting options when I turned to a young man and requested loudly,

"Please, can you help me lift her to my car? I will drive her to the hospital."

The young man asked, "Ma'am, are you sure?"

"Yes please, help me." I confirmed and with that, the young man gathered the poor girl in his arms and laid her on my car's back seat and I closed the door and nodded wordlessly at the man as I got into my vehicle.

I kick start the car and drove to the hospital I had noticed around the area. I noticed it the first day I and my husband drove into this town. I drove into the compound and opened my back seat's car door and I managed to carry the girl.

Surprisingly, she did not weigh so much. I made it to the interior in five minutes and I shouted for a nurse to bring a stretcher.

Within minutes, she was rolled on the stretcher and and they wheeled her into a room while I was told to wait at the waiting area. 

About two minutes after, a Doctor passed by me and went in to treat her. After pacing back and forth for a while, I was calm enough so I called my husband. He answered on the first ring saying,

"Darling, where are you?"

"I am at that hospital I was showing you the day we arrived."

"Macbeth Hospital? What happened? Are you hurt? I told you..."

"Honey, just listen to me, I am not hurt. I brought someone here but I can't do this alone."

"I will be with you as soon as I can get there okay? Just stay calm. I love you."

"Okay." I said and he ended the call. I kept pacing to and fro praying silently and talking in tongues then after thirty minutes or thereabout, the Doctor came out and said as my face collided with his,

"Can I talk to you in my office, ma'am?"

"Yeah, sure." I replied and we walked the short length to his office.

He showed me to a seat and went to wash his hands at the faucet and then he came to sit behind his desk, cleaning his hands with a disposable napkin. I sat quietly.

"Good evening ma'am. I am Doctor Stevens Macclesfield."

"Good evening Doctor. I am Michelle Butler. Pastor Mrs Butler."

"Nice meeting you ma'am. So, on to business, is the young lady by any chance your daughter?"

"No sir. I was driving and she fell unconscious in the middle of the road so I offered to bring her to the hospital. I and my husband came here for a weeklong Pastors Conference at Love World Christian Center (LWCC)."

"Okay. I know that Church. Something happened to that girl. She has these black spots and even fresh lash wounds at her back and the only thing I can figure out is that she was being abused. She was unconscious due to immense weakness."

"Oh Lord! So what is the solution now?"

"Under normal circumstances I would say she should be taken away from that environment, then she should see a therapist to help her heal but now I don't know, maybe social welfare will set in."

"Can I see her first?"

"Of course, but please do not wear her out."

"Okay sir." I replied and I made my way back to the room the girl was wheeled. Ward 17. I pushed open the door and closed it quietly. I went to sit by her and took her left hand in mine and I began to speak in tongues softly, interceding for her. 

About twenty minutes after, my gaze collided with the girl's gaze as she looked at me strangely. I stopped praying and asked her,

"How do you feel, dearie?"

"I...Please don't let Nick and his father come near me. Please." She rambled on crying and I moved closer to her, wiping her tears with my handkerchief as I said,

"Hush now, nobody is going to come near you, okay? You are safe now. Just take a deep breath. Do not be afraid. Come on."

She did as I instructed and I sat by her bed.

Just then, the door opened and my ever handsome husband came in. He strode towards me with all that manly confidence that turns me on and I rose up to meet him. He pulled me closer and kissed me full on the lips as he murmured,

"I am sorry I got here late, the taxi man took the longer route I guess."

I nodded wordlessly for the second time that evening and he stood straight and diverted his attention to the girl I rescued as I stepped aside to give him a full view of her.

-----------------------------------
Hello Sweethearts,

Hmm, what do you think is going to happen to Ruby now? Social welfare?

Tell me what you think.

Don't forget,  your vote is equal to my payment for writing,  your comments pushes me to work harder and your shares make me ecstatic.