|Chapter Nine|

Ruby

     Okay, I don't care if people call me stupid, going somewhere with two strangers because they were nice to me, anywhere is better than where I was and I am happy that I am finally out of the clutch of those sex monsters. Everyday I dreamt of being pregnant and getting abortion and dying or being caught in the act by my Aunt who I knew might never be on my side.

I stared at the couple who were now my guardians. They were bantering and teasing each other as if they had no audience, Pastor Jason's hand was on his wife's lap, just resting there. I wonder if it's to reassure himself that she was with him. It was very obvious that they were totally into each other. And then I remembered my parents, they used to do this same thing, teasing and laughing at each other, stealing kisses here and there.

I didn't know where I was going or how I was going to cope but I silently prayed that the Lord will help and guide me and not leave me on my own to suffer. I sighed and rested my head and back, lying down as I gave in to sleep.

I opened my eyes sometimes later to see Pastor Jason humming along with the song playing from the car and Mrs Butler asleep. I turned and drifted off again.

Somebody is shaking me. Somebody is actually shaking me, I felt my subconscious inform me and I slowly opened my eyes to see Mrs Butler's face hovering over mine.

"Dearie, we are home."

"Oh!" I exclaimed and quickly sat up, then I exited the car as she stepped back for me. I looked around me, there was a security guard apartment close to the gate that was painted white and the house stood magnificent in the compound surrounded by blossoming flowers. To the left, a play ground with some sort of swing and the right housed a garage. The compound is quite big but not as big as my parent's.  I didn't have to go into this house to know it is homely, it looked it.

"Oh!" I exclaimed again loudly this time, I quickly recovered and looked down as Mrs Butler looked up from where she stood and smiled,

"You like?" I bobbed my head and gave her a small smile. Then the house entrance opened and two girls came out shouting,

"Dad, Mum." I stood back and watched as they hugged their parents. Okay, these are the kids, I thought as I became the center of attention.

Soon, we all moved in and sat down as Pastor Jason made a short prayer of Thanksgiving to which we all answered,

"Amen."

"Sweethearts, this is Ruby Collins. She has become part of us. We met with her in Nashville and don't even think that she is here to be our house help or something. I and your mum have decided to adopt her as our daughter and so we need you to make her feel at home and sisterly. Ruby (I looked up), these are our daughters, Heather, she just got into College, she is 19 years old and she just came to stay with her sister because we were away, so she is your elder sister now, treat her with respect. And this is Chloe, she is your age mate and you both are the ones that will be staying with us. She is also your sister now. No fights please. As we progress, you will get to know the house rules. Is everybody okay?"

"Yes Daddy." Heather and Chloe said as I nodded. Then Chloe said,

"Oh my gosh! Daddy, I am so happy that I finally have someone (she came to sit beside me), we can now divide the chores into two. Don't worry we will decide who will be the new last born through our birthdays or better still we can be twins." She ended flashing me a dazzling smile and I smiled shyly, impressed that I was not taken as an outcast.

"Chloe! So, all you can think of is your chores. How many chores are you doing in this house? Anyway, Ruby, you can call me Big Sis and if you need anything, I am a talk away. Okay?"

"Thanks." I said as I felt fat hot tears roll down my cheeks, overwhelmed.

"Awwn, she is crying. It's okay, you have me now, no crying in this house all right?" Chloe said hugging me and I bobbed my head.

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *   *   *

Michelle

     I watched as my daughters surround Ruby with love and encouraging words and I made a silent thank you prayer to the Lord. Jason excused himself to go shower and change and I took Ruby to one of the free rooms we have. Our house is a six bedroom flat and we occupy four rooms presently.

The room is painted blue and green and there is a small flat screen on the wall just to the right. The wardrobe occupies the left side and there is a dressing table and chair at the right side. The bed in the center. Beside the wardrobe is a door to the bathroom and toilet. As Ruby looked around the room, I asked with a smile,

"You like?"

"Yes ma'am. Thank you so much for everything. God will favour you too." She said.

"Come on. (I gestured to the bed and we sat down) I only did what I had to do. Now, I want to talk to you, mother to daughter, please do not disappoint me. Be a good girl and make yourself free here. You must come to me if you have any problem. If my husband is trying to do anything funny, don't hesitate to come to me, okay? I know it with all my body, heart and soul that he is not that kind of man but if it ever happens, I want to hear about it. Him or any other person in fact. If you need anything, just let me know."

"Okay ma'am. Thank you ma'am." She said thanking me and I raised a hand to stop her saying,

"Come on, no need to thank me and you can call me Mum. I know you are tired now, so we will just rest today. Tomorrow, we will go shopping for all you need. I will tell Chloe to lend you some clothes now. Feel at home. You can take your shower now, I will tell her to come to your room but the basics are here, Towel, bathing robe. I leave you to shower and rest. Do not forget to pray and I will send someone to tell you when dinner is ready."

"Yes ma...I mean Mum" She said and I smiled at her as I left closing the door firmly.

-----------------------------------
Hello Sweethearts,

Ruby finally has a new home.

Tell me what you think.

Don't forget,  your vote is equal to my payment for writing,  your comments pushes me to work harder and your shares make me ecstatic.