Run

Yes, it was Luxu at the end of the last chapter. Yes, I'm bringing in some Back Cover/KHX characters to this story. Yes, I'm excited.

Part 1 of ???

[♥]

The morning moves too quickly for your liking. It feels extraordinarily strange getting dressed to go to war. Last year, it wasn't *real*. It was someone else's battle, hardly personal, and you were just along for the ride. But this time you're not only fighting for your own life, you're fighting to preserve the balance of the worlds.

Talk about pressure.

After getting changed into a customized outfit (all black, with durable and flexible armor protecting your body), you head into the kitchen for a quick bite to eat. No one's really talking, instead milling around and munching on small snacks. It feels like a nightmare from which you can't wake up. You're not sure if you want to laugh or cry at the awkward tension in the air.

"Everyone ready?"

You glance up from your half-consumed [toast/muffin/whatever], looking at the doorway where Cid's standing.

"Are we leaving already?" Xion asks in surprise.

"'Fraid so, darlin'."

"Let's just get this over with," Riku grumbles, kicking himself up from the table and marching out of the kitchen.

You can hardly blame him for being in such a bad mood today. You're not feeling much better.

"Wait, how are we even getting there?" Sora realizes.

"Portals," Roxas replies.

"And we're staying behind," Kairi adds, pointing between she, Namine, Cid, Mickey, Goofy, and Donald, who are scattered about downstairs.

"Why aren't you guys coming?" you ask, finally speaking for the first time today.

"Someone needs to stay here... should the worst happen," Namine responds, second-guessing herself halfway through her statement.

"It won't though," King Mickey quickly interjects with a smile. "Everything will be fine. Just remember your training, stay sharp, and stay together."

"I'd feel better if you guys were there," Sora tells Donald and Goofy as he rubs at the back of his head.

"We'll celebrate with you afterwards," Goofy decides as Donald nods in agreement.

"You should get going, though. The sun's rising," Donald points out, gesturing a wing to the window.

Sure enough, the world is faintly shining with the pale light from the rising sun.

"Come back soon," Kairi murmurs, pulling Sora into a tight hug as Namine does the same to Roxas.

"Don't be idiots," Cid orders, which is basically his way of saying 'be safe.'

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," Reno mutters with a roll of his eyes.

Cid merely smirks at him as everyone gives quick goodbyes. You feel catatonic, forcing smiles and just going numbly through the motions. Something in the back of your head is screaming at you, yelling that you're not ready. You don't want to go. You want to stay here, and find another way to keep everyone safe and miraculously save the worlds. But you can't. You're trapped.

"Hey," Goofy speaks up, earning your attention as he stands before you. "Do you still have it?"

"Hm? Oh, yeah," you remember, pulling out the pulsing orb from your pocket and stealthily flashing it to him with a grin. "Just in case."