Fade to Black

A/N: It's been freaking forever since I played KH1. I can't remember the old Hollow Bastion layout at all so I'm making it up as I go. Just roll with it and pretend I'm right xD;

<>

It took you and Aqua at least five minutes to make it all the way across the canyon, slowly meandering up the winding path before you reach the flat, rock platform overlooking the castle just past the valley. There's an odd darkness oozing around at the very bottom of the basin, and you wonder just how you've failed to notice that before.

"Where'd they go?" you ask, realizing Ven and Terra aren't around. "And where'd that light come from?"

"I'm not sure. Hopefully they didn't leave," Aqua mutters with a sigh and a shake of her head. "I guess we should look around the castle."

"Do they have a tendency of leaving?"

"Oh, [Name]," she laughs, rolling up her sleeves before she shoots out a gust of wind to propel herself into the air. "I've followed them through so many worlds trying to track them down, I've lost count."

"Worlds?" you repeat, following her lead as you take off into the sky, both of you flying slowly across the valley. "Aqua, you have the patience of a saint."

She just laughs in response, though you notice with a smile that she doesn't argue with you.

You skid to a stop just outside the castle gates, which are flung open and hanging off their hinges. The castle looks abandoned, like it hasn't been cared for or lived in for years. You've never been to this side before, since you typically just hang around the computer room. You can hear two voices faintly in the distance, the sound of clashing weapons floating through the grounds.

"Uh oh," you hum, feeling your chest constrict at the noises.

Before your mind can jump to any conclusions, you turn the corner, immediately spotting Sora and Roxas in the midst of their training. Roxas is charging at Sora with both of his Keyblades, which Sora is managing to duck and weave at an almost inhuman-like speed. The brunet catches you and Aqua out of the corner of his eyes, pausing as he smiles and gives a wave. Roxas stops as well, glancing over his shoulder and panting slightly as he catches your gaze.

"Hey," he greets as you and Aqua jog over.

"You found our secret fighting spot," Sora adds with a good-natured chuckle as his Keyblade dissipates.

"It's kinda depressing here," you note with a frown.

"Yeah, but that's where this little guy was created!" Sora exclaims excitedly, hooking an arm around Roxas' neck as he points up.

"Stop," Roxas protests, though he releases a laugh as Sora starts to pout at him.

"Really? Woooow, that's a piece of history there, Roxie," you tease, earning your own glare shot your way.

"Why are you guys here anyway?" he asks, glancing towards an anxious Aqua.

"We're looking for Ven and Terra. Have you seen them? Or any weird lights?" she inquires.

"No lights but, y'know, we did see Ven," Sora replies, tapping a finger on his chin as he stares off into the distance. "I tried to say hi, but he just kept walking like I was invisible."

"Everything okay?" Roxas presses, noticing the worried glances you and Aqua exchange.

"Um... Maybe?" you respond with a shrug.