The Truth

A/N: I hate myself for this D: MY POOR BOYS AND READER 

The hollow sound of your footsteps ring dully in your ears, almost entirely drowned out by the sound of gunshots, screams, and cries of distress. The smell is nauseating, blood, smoke, and gunpowder wafting through the air. You're almost in a daze as Cloud practically drags you along behind him, your legs feeling as sturdy as jello as you trail behind him.

You have no idea what's happened, or who's attacking the Shinra Building. All you know is that SOLDIER appears to be rebelling – the only question is if they're rebelling against Shinra... or you.

As soon as you and Cloud arrive at the door leading to the lounge, one of the heavy double doors swings open, revealing Xion's pale and anxious face.

"You're okay!" she exclaims, reaching out and pulling Cloud inside by his shirt.

Due to his hand grasping your wrist, you too are dragged inside the room. The doors are shut behind you, and Riku takes up a position near the small window, carefully peering outside at the empty hallway.

"What's going on out there?" Noctis asks, his eyes darting down to yours momentarily.

"Are you deaf? Clearly someone's attacking the building," Reno snaps haughtily, earning a narrowed glare from the prince.

"It's SOLDIER," Cloud speaks up, releasing your arm as he slumps his back against the wall. You hadn't noticed before, but his body is covered in minor scrapes and his uniform is torn and dirty. He had been fighting, you realize with a tinge of guilt. "They've turned on us."

"But... Why?" Sora asks quietly, glancing around the room.

One by one, all eyes turn to you. You had never felt more scrutiny in your entire life, as well as shame. All of the secrets you had kept bottled up for so long have come tumbling down, threatening to expose everything. Vanitas allowing you to escape, his warning against Shinra, Sephiroth's break from reality... Had you opened up earlier, could this have been prevented?

Riku suddenly moves, serving as a thankful distraction as he pulls the door open. Zack and Genesis come charging through, covered in blood and looks of pure anger on their faces.

"Is it over?" Yuffie asks anxiously, rubbing her hands together.

"Just beginning, I think," Genesis admits with a sigh, shaking some broken shards of glass from his hair.

"It's a full-on mutiny out there," Zack agrees, trying in vain to rub some blood from his cheek. Due to his lack of wounds, you can only presume the blood belongs to someone else. "What the hell happened, anyway??"

"We were all just hanging out, training and whatnot, when suddenly it was war. They stormed the floor and started attacking," Ven explains, rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's an ambush," Leon adds with a knowing glance towards Genesis. "Where's Sephiroth?"

Genesis merely shrugs, not looking the least bit suspicious or concerned. You, however, once again feel like you're downing. The air is hot, your lungs feeling almost constricted as you struggle to breathe. You begin to tug at the collar of your shirt, cursing the restrictive turtleneck.

You can't keep it in anymore; it needs to come out.

Without a second thought, you head towards [him]. You ignore all senses of doubt and anxiety as you grab his arm, tugging at it gently. He glances down at you, a small smile pulling at his lips as his eyes meet yours.