Chapter One: Vanitas

A/N: From now on when "him" is italicized, the speaker (or [Name]'s thoughts) are referring to the name of whichever guy you prefer. This series is a little different because now there's an established relationship so... yeah

IT BEGINS

You're falling, falling through darkness.

Is falling the right word? It's almost more like you're weightless, floating headfirst into the abyss.

The world around you is so black, part of you wonders if you're blind.

Or are you dead?

Suddenly, a flash of bright light appears in the distance. You try to reach for it but your body can't move. Instead, you merely shut your eyes as the light starts to overtake you.

Before you know it, you're standing on solid ground. You slowly open one eye, then another. You blink a few times, adjusting to the brightness. After a few moments you start to glance around your surroundings. You'd recognize the sight anywhere.

The Castle That Never Was.

Your heart starts to race as memories come pouring back. You had been happy, content, living life with... Your hands fly to your head, gripping frantically at your hair as his panicked face appears before you. Where is he? Is he okay? Are YOU okay??

"What the hell are you doing?"

You jump, turning around as your arms drop to your sides. Standing behind you is your own personal hell. He still looks exactly the same as he did one year ago. Jet-black hair. Bright golden eyes. Emotionless expression. The only reason you've been remotely sane the past year is because he was dead. But now... What happens now that he's not?

"G-Get away from me," you stammer, taking a step back.

He smirks, taking a step forward. This continues until you find yourself backed up against the wall. You glance behind you, desperately searching for a door or window, but there's none. By the time you look back up, he's right in front of you.

"This feels reminiscent of the last time we saw each other," Vanitas comments, a finger pressing on the scar on your hip. "You look better now. Healthier."

You open your mouth to scream for help, but before the noise can leave your lips a gloved hand is pressed roughly against your mouth. The back of your head is uncomfortably shoved against the stark white wall behind you.

"Don't scream, you moron," Vanitas hisses, glancing around the empty hall. "I need to talk to you."

Your eyes narrow in confusion.

"Talk?" you repeat (though it comes out more like 'tal' due to his hand's placement).

"Yes, talk," he clarifies with a huff and a roll of his eyes. "We only have a few minutes, at most, so – you know... shut up, for once."

You glare at him, but stay silent. It'd be a lie to say you weren't curious why he was here.

"I'm not the Vanitas you know. I'm, uh," he trails off in a chuckle, "I'm the real one. Not some replica."

"Real one?!" you repeat, your voice muffled.

"What, it's totally normal to hang out with that complete idiot Ventus but I can't be real? Give me a break," he mutters, shaking his head. "ANYWAY. Xemnas found my body after your stupid friends defeated him, revived me, and forced me to help him revive all of his stupid followers. They showed me everything that happened last year, I guess through their memories? I don't know how it all works, this place is fucking weird."