Becoming A Hero

Down the hallway. One right, then another. You have no idea where you're going but Vanitas' words are echoing in your mind, playing on repeat.

Almost there, almost there.

Finally, you reach out, pushing open a pair of white double-doors. You're greeted by a burst of cold air, and with a sigh of relief you realize you're outside. The city is in the distance, neon lights flashing in the cloudy night's sky. You take a deep breath, allowing a genuine smile to grow on your face.

You're free.

It made no sense, but Vanitas had saved you.

You crawl up onto the ledge, peering over. You aren't too far from the city's edge, but you're just far enough that there is no way you can jump safely. Nothing but seemingly never-ending darkness rests beneath the ledge. You couldn't stay here long. It would at most be minutes until Xemnas wakens. You hold your hands at your sides, focusing all of your energy on the breeze surrounding you.

Aqua's words float through your mind...

"Just focus on the wind, and the air. Use it, and the possibilities are endless."

"Peter Pan's advice was much easier," you grumble, remember the boy's words so many months ago.

Unfortunately, there's no pixie dust here to help you tonight. No, you're on your own for the first time in... well, ever. It's almost liberating.

With a sigh you close your eyes, focusing intently on getting home. On seeing [his] smile. On escaping this literal hellhole. A burst of wind suddenly escapes from your finger tips, sending you shooting up into the sky.

"Whoa," you murmur, looking down.

An invisible stream of wind is keeping you up in the air, hovering a few feet over the ledge of the balcony. It had worked! Somehow, you made yourself fly. You make a mental note to give Aqua a gift basket once you're back.

"YOU!"

Your head snaps around, peering over your shoulder. Standing at the end of the hallway is your Nobody, a scowl on her face as her dark blue eyes narrow.

"I found her!" [Na-x-me] yells, pointing towards you.

Turning the corner are Xaldin and Lexaeus, gaze immediately landing on you. Swallowing a lump in your throat you turn your attention forward as the three Nobodies charge onto the balcony. With a small smile you move your arms back, using the side of the castle to push you forward towards the city. You glance back to see the three Nobodies watching you fly through the air with shocked expressions.

"Suckers," you laugh to yourself, adding an extra strong burst of air as you propel towards the edge of the city.

With a stumble, you land roughly to your feet. The impact strains your ankles and your knees, but you manage to stay upright. You glance back, too far away to be able to see anyone on the balconies of the castle.

For now, you're safe.

Hurriedly, you take off in a sprint down the dark path towards the city. For a second, you remember just one year ago walking up that path with everyone, ready to face off against the remaining Organization members... But those thoughts are quickly pushed aside. There's no point in reliving the past, since the present is obviously in complete shambles.

After a few moments, you find yourself in the center of the city. Large buildings with eerie yellow lights surround you. People and creatures are stumbling around, as if in a daze. Which isn't an exaggeration – everyone here suffers from a vice. The World That Never Was had fallen into absolute squalor over the past year. The best and the brightest don't call this world home.