Leaving

"Mom?" Maizy's questioned as she answered the phone. She put it on speaker phone so I could hear too.

"I'm sorry I acted that way. I support you." Were the words that came from the phone.

"Thanks mom." Maizy said as she smiled.

"And there's something I have to tell you."

"Okay ?" Maizy looked nervously at me.

"As you know, your dad and I fight a lot. I told him that you're gay." Her mom said the last sentence a bit slower.

"Okay..."

"He said it was the last straw."

"Of what?"

"Your dad is leaving." There was a long silence following the shock.

"Because I'm gay?" Maizy asked quietly.

"No! It's not that." Her mom took a moment to think. "He just, I don't know. We don't love each other anymore."

"And now he doesn't have a reason to stay, because he doesn't love me, because I'm gay."

"I'm sorry." Her mom tried to squeeze in before Maizy ended the call. At least her mom seemed genuinely sad. There was a mixture of confusion and disappointment on Maizy's face.

Her mom had texted her a moment later saying  she loved her.She stared at me with an unsure smile.

"Are you okay?" I asked her concerned.

"Yes. It's better some homophobic guy who constantly yells at my mom and I leaves, than having him in my house." She looked reassured by her own words.

"Even if that homophobic yelling guy is your dad?" I asked.

"I wouldn't consider him a dad. At least not mine."

"I love you. And your optimism, but that's just another plus."

"Would you love me even if I was a pessimist?" She smirked at me.

"Hmm... I'll have to think about that." I smiled sarcastically.

"Hey!" She laughed and pulled me into a soft warm hug. "Do you know what we should do?" She said in my ear.

"What?" I broke away from the hug.

"Go to the tree house." She smirked.

"IT'S ALMOST DARK."

"AnD?"

"WE WILL BE MURDERED."

"If we can be there in the middle of the night and not get murdered I'm sure we'll be fine at 6:45pm Em."

"Fine. But you better hold my hand the whole way. And be in front AND behind me at the same time somehow. Because I'm not going first or last."

"There is only one of me."

"Unfortunately."

"Are you saying if I had a twin you would date her too?"

"Maybe. NO JUST KIDDING I LOVE YOU. But still you better not get me killed by going in that forest again. No matter how many times we've been there and seen no serial killers..."

"Do you want me to invite Dustin so there'll be someone behind you too?"

"BUT WHAT IF HE'S THE SERIAL KILLER?"

"You need to stop watching horror movies Em."

"Never."

AN: I've had this catch phrase for years"suck it" as a joke but since all my friends are lesbians I should probably change it to "lick it"