Spray bottle

Panic immediately filled the tiny janitors closet. My heart sped up each time I heard the creaks from the floor, caused by his footsteps heading towards me. I felt frozen. I could barely understand what was happening. All I knew is a make out session with Maizy turned into a creepy janitor not letting us leave. All I could do was turn my head to Maizy who was in the corner. It looked like she was hyperventilating.

There had to be a way out of this. Two of us and one of him. My brain started filling with thoughts and questions that made him seem far but next to me at the same time.

What is happening? Why is he here? What is he going to do to us?

I could easily guess the answer to these questions though.

Ha Maizy really is the death of you.
OH MY GOD EMORY WHY ARE YOU MAKING A JOKE AT A TIME LIKE THIS?

A push against the wall made me snap back to reality. I felt the coldness of the wall. My back seemed to smash into it hard enough to make a hole. My attacker was above me smirking. He put his hand on the wall by my shoulder.

"So pure." Was all he said. Fear numbed my body so much I could barely feel the tear that escaped my eye. I glanced at Maizy again, hoping she might have called someone and we were safe. By her side I noticed the spray bottle that she grabbed earlier as an excuse of why we were there. She was shaking.

She mouthed something to me,"it's okay. Get ready." She put up three fingers,"3,2,1."

As she put down one finger I kicked the man's stomach. He stepped back but beside that, it didn't phase him. Maizy ran over and sprayed cleaning chemicals into his eyes. The janitor groaned loudly and covered his eyes.

"STUPID GIRLS!" He yelled, still without the ability to see.

"Run." Maizy mouthed to me and I sprinted to the door. I tried to turn the handle but it wouldn't budge. I pushed on the door, my heart racing, and it still didn't move. The man was slowly regaining his sight and was moving towards us in the small closet. Maizy tried the handle this time, moving it the opposite way and it burst open. We ran out into the beautiful sunlight, leaving the man with a name tag, claiming his name was Richard, behind.

We ran until the janitor closet was out of sight. I took a deep breath and slid to the ground.

"Are you...okay?" She said in between panting. I didn't respond. "Em?" I looked up at her. "Come on." She held her hand out to lift me up.   "We need to tell someone." I still didn't respond. "Okay fine, what about the suggestions box in the office? We can just slip a note in there anonymously and they'll read it in like an hour."

At this, I nodded to her. We walked to the office with our hands linked. Of course, we were still supposed to be in class so I'd prefer if no one saw and questioned us. When we reached the office door and pulled it open there was luckily no one by the suggestions box. We slowly walked over and grabbed a pen and a piece of paper. I didn't look at everything Maizy wrote, "please help. The janitor tried to"  was what I saw before she slipped it inside the box.

We silently walked out of the office and to a nearby hidden tree. Walking back into math class together would look suspicious. She sat down by the tree and I joined her.

"Emory," I looked up at Maizy. "Are you okay?"  She asked sincerely.

"Yes. Mostly because of you." I leaned over and hugged her tight. She felt safe.

"Sit in front of me." She smiled.

"Why?"

"I'm going to massage your back."

"Wow you're sweet." I laughed and sat in front of her. She lifted up my shirt and her cold hands touched my skin. I shivered.

"Are you still okay going to Savannah's graduation and camping with Jane and everyone?"

I turned around,"only if you're with me." I smiled and tried to wink.

"You know, near death experiences bring people closer."

"I- you're such an idiot. And adorable." She leaned into kiss me as the bell rang for our next period.