Chapter Sixty-Eight

"They're dying." Louis informed his siblings and mother, "Look at them."

Rose stared over at the once beautiful flowers, "It is their time to go."

Louis gently picked up one of the curled up roses, "I don't want them to die." Tears began to fall down his cheeks, "Dad loved them. He always looked after them."

"Come here darling." Rose opened her arms out to him and then hugged him tightly, "Everything will be okay, love."

"I miss daddy." Jack whispered to her as all the children sat close to her, "Why did he have to go?"

Rose stared down at the children, "Because someone bad took him from us."

"And what's going to happen to the bad person?"

"He's going to pay for what he did."

"With his life?"

The question took her back, she hadn't realised her children thought about things so dark, "Maybe."

"Did the bad person also take Katie from us?"

Rose nodded her head, "They did."

"Will Uncle Tommy try to take you away from us?" Elsie asked quietly.

"Of course he won't." She reassured her children, "I'll make sure of that."

"I love you mum."

"I love you too. You must all not worry, I am going to make sure that you children are going to be okay. That you will stay safe.

"I promise you that."