Chapter Sixty

Shouts of anger and frustration echoed around the empty street as the Blinders fought furiously against the Grays. Tommy was angry, he wanted his power back. Michael was bored, he wanted his power to come. 

Rose stood in between John and Alfie, the three watching the scene with no ounce of emotion clear on their faces. "I see what you two mean about the fighting." John whispered, breaking the silence that surrounded them. 

"It is not the best." Alfie muttered, still staring forward, refusing to look over at the Shelby brother.

"I could do better." Rose added. 

Alfie chuckled, "Go on then, Rosie." 

John suddenly turned to glare at the man, "Her name is Rose."

"And Rosie is her nickname, isn't it Rosie?"

She did not like being stuck in the middle of the two bickering men, "John, it is okay. My brothers have always called me that."

He nodded his head yet continued to send glares over at the elder man. "We're going to have to do something, this is pathetic."

"What do you propose Johnny boy?" Alfie asked him in a mocking tone. 

Before either of them could register what he was doing, John began to walk out of the darkness, followed by Arthur and Rose's surviving brother. "John!" Rose angrily whispered to her husband, "What are you doing?"

"Is he healthy enough to go into the middle of a fight?" Alfie asked her, "Because I am sure Tommy will not be happy to find out he's been lied to all this time."

Rose stared at him in fear before following after her husband, "John is well enough to fight. He will be fine." She continuously told herself as she walked over to the fighting.

"Come on Tommy," Michael called out, "You are not scared, are you?"

"I will fucking kill you." Tommy screamed at the top of his voice as he lunged forward.

Rose grabbed onto John's hand and shook her head, "John."

Pulling his hand out of her grasp, he stepped into the light and shouted to his brother, "Leave him alone Tommy. He's our cousin not some enemy!"

Everything stopped.

It all became silent.

Michael and Finn moved so they were stood closer to John, smirks crowned their faces. 

Arthur and Rose's brother remained by his side as though they were his protectors.

Tommy's mouth was open as he tried to understand how the brother he had lost merely months ago was now stood in front of him. Alive and well. Alive. 

"How?" He went to shout but instead it came out as a strangled cry as if he was a hunted animal. "How?"

John stared at his brother, "Rose gave me a mixture that made me unconscious for a day or two. It was the only way to be safe and away from you."

"Why?" Tommy seemed broken. He had been betrayed by the brother he always thought was loyal to him. 

"Because you nearly killed me Tom." John replied, "Because I needed to be with my wife and children. I still need to be with them and you are threatening their safety."

"You were on my side." Tommy yelled at the top of his voice.

"I was."

"You fucking bastard." 

John did not flinch as his brother ran up to his face, looking as though he was ready to kill him, "I am sorry Tom."

"No, you're not." Tommy scoffed, "You chose to do this, you chose to let me think I had killed you. You are no brother of mine."

John peeled himself away from his brother, "Tommy you are blind."

"I have been blind but I no longer am. I know who are my true allies and you two are obviously not them." He said as he looked at his two brothers. 

"We had to do this Tommy." Arthur informed him, "It was the right thing to do."

The second eldest Shelby brother shook his head, "No you didn't."

Rose stared at the men in front of her, "The end is near." She whispered to Alfie, "And not all of us shall live to see the end."

Alfie glanced over at her, "What do you mean?"

"All of us," Rose shook her head, "We are cursed."