Chapter Fifty-Four

Her hand gently ran along the smooth marble table as Rose walked down the corridor towards the ringing phone.

Waiting a moment, she paused before pressing the telephone to her ear, and then patiently waited for the caller to speak rather than for her to reveal who was there. As soon as they had finished their sentence, she replied simply with, "Good." Glancing around her, she knew she was alone so she asked, "Are you ready?" The caller answered and Rose smiled, "Yes, thank you."

Footsteps were heard behind her, walking down the stairs, so Rose quickly put the telephone down and stopped the conversation without saying a word.

"What are you doing?" Polly asked her as she stopped half way down the staircase, "Who were you talking to?"

"I am making plans for the future."

"What plans?" Polly asked, determined to get the answer she so desired.

Rose stared at the elder woman coldly, "How was Michael when you called him this morning?"

It was apparent Polly had meant for that to be a secret and done her up most to hide it from everyone they lived with, "How did you, how did you know that?"

"This is my home Polly, I know when someone makes a phone call." Rose replied as though she was bored with the conversation, "How was he?"

"He was good, very busy though."

"Making plans for the future?" Rose asked her, a smirk starting to form on her lips.

Polly slowly nodded her head, unsure about why Rose would ask such a question, "Yes, he said he was."

"Good."

"What is going to happen next?" Polly called out to her, she was scared, they were all scared.

"Something bigger than us all."

And then she walked away, leaving the elder woman to stare at her in confusion. Rose had never been clear about things unless she wanted you to know them, so now Polly knew she was up to something and that she wouldn't know until Rose decided. Quietly, Rose walked through the drawing room - it was the complete opposite to the one Tommy had - the Crawford Manor's drawing room was light and sunshine poured through the large sash windows. The floor was a cream carpet and the walls were a blue colour that reminded her of the sky on a light day.

After, passing through the room, she entered another corridor, mirrors on either side to make it seem even bigger than what it actually was in reality.

She stopped as she reached the doorway of the conservatory and glanced around at all the different flowers, there was hundreds of flowers all of different colours and sizes. It had used to be the home of the Crawford Family, mainly of Rose and her siblings growing up but now they had been replaced with her own children's photos.

It had been her mothers room, she had always tended to the plants and took great care with their lives. But now it was his to look after.

Whenever they had gone there on holiday, her mother would spent most of her time in the room, always watching her children play in the garden. They had been happy then.

And here he was, doing the exact same thing.

Rose sat down beside him, her hand finding his, as she watched him look over at their children, "They are ready." 

He nodded his head, a smile lighting up his face as the children began to laugh happily, "Good."

And with that the couple stared silently at the children, feeling the happiness that poured out of them and hoping they'd stay together for a very long time.