Chapter Four

"How do you cope with all of this? It must be tiring." Rose said to Aunt Polly. "Especially when they go out and do the fun things while you're stuck in here doing their boring work."

Polly smiled at her. "I like being in charge." She stood up and began to make her way over to a door, "Are you coming?"

"Oooh, what's in here?" Rose stared wide eyed as the door opened to reveal stacks of money. "Wow! What do you do with it all?"

"I make sure they don't spend it all." Polly turned to the younger girl. "Who looks after all your money?"

"My father and his closest subjects." Rose sighed as they walked back over to the desk. "Even I was not allowed to go anywhere near it. I knew everything though."

"How did you know everything?" The elder women watched her curiously.

"Nothing can stay a secret forever." Rose smiled as she drank her drink. "Everyone whispers, you just have to listen closely."

"They'll be back soon." Polly said with a raised eyebrow. "I'm sure they'll be glad to see you and I getting on so well. Especially John? Or is it Tommy?"

"I don't care what any of them think." Rose stood up and walked to the window. "But out of any of them it has to be John." She winked, a small grin playing on her face.

With a large bang, the door was pushed open, "I need a drink." Michael made his way over to his mother. "It is exhausting beating people up and stealing their businesses."

The rest of the Blinders walked in and followed Michael's actions by pouring themselves a drink. "I would say that was successful." Arthur told them. "Well done boys."

Rose stared out of the window at the mailman, he looked over at her and she recognised him immediately. "Excuse me." She rushed out of the room and across the street, the fresh air hit her as she ran over to the mailman. "What news is there?"

"You need to come with me Lady Crawford."

"So there is news." Rose glanced back at the window and saw John watching her leave. The two made their way around a corner and into a warehouse, "This is where you leave me."

"Yes, M'lady."

She quickly walked forward where she saw her two brothers waiting for her. "What news is there?"

"You're making progress but not as quickly as father wishes."

"It takes a while to build an empire up from ashes." Rose informed her brothers. "But you need not worry, the Baltons will be no more very soon, that I can promise you."

"It better be soon, sister." Her eldest brother said. "Father's growing impatient."

"It'll happen when it'll happen." Rose informed her brothers. "Now, I must return." She left the warehouse and made her way back to the Peaky Blinders who were still in the office. "No mail."

Tommy scoffed. "If we are to work together then you must not lie to me."

Rose drank her entire drink quickly, "Some things are better left unsaid." She turned to see them all staring at her. "It was my brothers wanting to know how it's coming along."

"What did you tell them?"

"That we will destroy the Balton's soon."

"Your family are growing impatient." Tommy figured out.

She nodded. "If there's one thing my father has never been good at, it's waiting."

"What are we going to do?"

"You're going to continue doing what you're doing." Rose stared at him. "And let me deal with my father."

"Are you telling us the truth?"

"What would I gain if I wasn't?" Rose joined John at the window. "Nothing. I have more to gain by telling you the truth."

After a couple of minutes a man burst into the room, his clothes dirty and his beard ragged. "So it is true, well I never!"

"You own a bakery?" Rose asked him. "Several bakery's."

He looked her up and down, "Who are you?"

Before she could say anything John replied, "Someone."

"Alfie Solomons, now miss who are you?"

"You're mother was Jew that fled Russia. You worked with the Shelby's then Sabini and then the Shelby's again. You live in London yet you are here in Birmingham. Why are you here?"

He started to laugh, "You're good. You've trained her well." He turned to Tommy but stopped laughing when he realized they were just as surprised as him. "Who are you?"

"You've worked for the Crawford's before." Rose smirked. "I've read your file."

Recognition flashed across his features, "You work for the Crawford's?"

"Something like that." Rose grabbed her coat. "Polly why don't we go and have some afternoon tea?" The two women then left the room and walked to a tearoom.

"Did you not want to discuss business with him?" Polly asked her unsure in why they had left.

"No, I'm bored of business, I need to clear my head." Rose ordered a cake and a cup of tea and then turned back to Polly. "Were they always like it? Gangsters? Monsters?"

Polly shook her head, "The war changed them."

"Like so many others."

"What about you? Had you always been in the family business?"

Rose smiled sadly, "The war changed me."