XXIII

| P A I G E 23 |

"Well, Ms. Harris. We checked your FSH, LH, estradiol, and TSH levels. All of them were pretty much within the normal range, and it showed that you are ovulating normally. We look for an LH surge that happens right before ovulation, and yours was positive. We also checked your FSH on the third day of your period, and your egg supply was adequate. Your estradiol was also perfect, so we know your eggs are of quality."

"So, how come it's taking so long? It's been three years since we started trying."

"Well, I was actually wondering where your husband is today?"

"He isn't aware that I'm getting the tests done."

"I believe we agreed that it would be best if you and your husband worked on this together."

"He doesn't want to. He still refuses to have his sperm count checked."

"As I told you before, three years definitely meets the infertility requirement. Since all of your tests are normal, there's a strong possibility that he's the root of your troubles. It would have been best if you two came at the one-year mark, which is the minimum time needed in order to start the work-up. If your husband isn't willing to work with you, it will just decrease your chances of conceiving."

Akira sighed, "I understand, but my husband's so resistant."

"If getting pregnant is so important to you, you need to put your foot down."

"You're right. I'm going to do it tonight."

"I wish you the best of luck, Ms. Harris."

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

"No, Xylon!" Akira's attention snapped back towards him, sighing in frustration as she tapped his reaching hand. "You can't do that!"

"Why I can't?!"

"Because that makes no sense."

"It does make sense! You put down two draw two's and I put down a draw four, so now you gotta pick up eight cards."

"You can't stack a draw four on a draw two. You don't know how to play."

"I do know how to play. You don't know how to play. So either draw eight or forfeit."