XIV

| P A I G E 14 |

Arriving at the hospital, awaiting patiently in the doctor's office, Xylon reluctantly sat back listening in as his daughter carried on with her habitual rambling

"Daddy, what you gonna be for Halloween?" She asked, toying with the white fitted sheet engulfing the bed, lightly swinging her legs off of it.

"Uh, myself, I guess." He shrugged as she sighed.

"You can't be yourself for Halloween, Daddy, you have to dress up!"

"I dressed up last year." He shifted his legs to better fix himself in the chair.

She sat for a moment, tapping her small finger on her chin, thinking to herself.

"I got it!" She perked up."I can be Princess Tiana, Mommy can be Prince Naveen, and you can be the Shadow Man!"

"Negative. First of all, why is yo' momma Prince Naveen and not me? Why am I the Shadow Man? "

"'Cause you look like him." She said it in a duh tone.

"So your momma look like a man?"

"No!" She gasped. "Daddy, why would you say that?"

"You said it first! You chose for her to be a prince out of all the people in the movie. Not a princess, or a lady. A prince that's a man." He laughed.

"Well, somebody has to be the prince since I'm the princess! And it can't be you 'cause you look like The Shadow Man. At least if she gotta be a man, she'll be a cute one!" Pea' sighed, rubbing her temples with her fingers as she closed her eyes. "The pressure, the pressure."

"You're too dramatic for your own good, lil grown self. You get that from yo' momma."

"Mommy said I get it from you."

"Negative."

She opened her mouth to say something, but paused to think for a minute.

"Daddy, what's the opposite of negative?"

"Positive."

"Oh, right. Positive! "

"Now how about I just be in my bed sleeping, yeah?"

"No! You gotta go with me trick or treating. That's no fun. How I'ma get candy if you sleep?" She threw her tiny arms up.

"You see how God works? I guess that means Peanut ain't gettin' no candy then, huh?"

"But I need candyyy!" She whined.

"No. You don't, actually. You turn into the Tasmanian Devil when you have too much sugar. So no, we definitely ain't goin'." He indistinctly joked.

"I'ma tell my mommy on you!" She teased, folding her arms.

"I ain't scared of her. I'm the one who would be takin' you anyway, so go on." He chuckled.

Pea' groaned, frowning her face as they heard a knock on the door.