XXI

[ P A I G E 21 ]

Silence.

That's what hovered over the room. Aside from the distinct voices of other patients and families in the waiting room, which was incoherent.

Everyone had one thing in common. Awaiting the fate of a loved one. Every head was bowed, almost as if they were all in prayer, and though some were just taking time to prepare for what was to come, for others they actually were.

Just as Akira, Teyana, Zachary, and Aunt Jacky were.

Praying for a miracle.

Though the television bannered headline informed of a deceased driver, they were informed it wasn't Xylon. And the driver who did pass still has yet to be identified to the public. They had no idea what the extent of Xylon's injuries were, not even in the slightest. The only knowledge they had of his condition was that he was alive.

For that, they were grateful.

Along with many other life triumphs, there was still nothing scarier than waiting. Nothing was more terrifying than not knowing what news was about to be announced by the white-coated professionals.

Especially when they weren't in your favor. Especially when the pain was written all over their faces.

Because it pained them to hurt you.

"Family of Xylon Ezekiel Xavier?"

"Call out his whole government, why don't you?" Zachary mumbled as Teyaba lightly elbowed him.

"Right here."

Jacky stood, making her way over to him quickly.

"How is he? Is he okay? He alright? He awake?" She nervously ranted.

Placing his hands up, gesturing her to calm down, he nodded his head slowly.

"He's stable. Would you like to see him?"

"That's all you're gonna tell us? He's stable?"

"I'd like to get into more details in the room, and please two at a time."

Jacky nodded, proceeding to follow behind the doctor before turning back, slightly eyeing the rest.

"Akira."

"Oh no, no, no. You guys are family, and that's mandatory first. Go ahead." She waved them off.