XI

| P A I G E 11 |

Xylon released the phone from his ear, ending the call, letting it plonk against the table before him

Xylon released the phone from his ear, ending the call, letting it plonk against the table before him. He abruptly flumped into the couch, dragging a hand down his face and shoving his head into his hands.

Letting a frustrated groan escape his lips, he shut his eyes, feeling his heart race, the irregular rhythmic drumming sounding through his ears. Xylon tolerated a lot of disrespect on a day-to-day basis, but that was only when pertaining to himself. Tonight, disrespect was distributed on account of one of his most sensitive subjects.

The man's last words to Xylon seemed to eat away at his brain, disgusted to say the least. He was determined to figure out who this man was and fast, though he may have already had an idea. In an attempt to regulate his breathing, the distant murmuring between Desiree and Akira seemed to become more audible as they entered the room.

Desiree, noticing a distraught Xylon, hesitated to question his well-being but remembered the presence of Akira, deciding against it. To her, his body language spoke volumes. If his sudden distressful mood was because of what she thought it was, she would leave the conversation to occur after Akira left.

Little did she know, Xylon didn't plan to stay too much longer himself. With the phone call weighing heavily on his mind, he desired to get the man's neck locked under his fingers fast.

He sent a quick message to Zachary, instructing him to meet him down at the station. He lifted his body from the couch, stretching out his arms.

"Akira?" He called.

"Huh?" She responded by turning her attention away from Desiree.

"Aye, so look, I gotta run out. Is your pops off of work? He gon' be here anytime soon? "

Hearing a horn honk in the distance, Akira lifted her head up, glancing out the window. She quickly returned her attention back to her phone, letting her thumbs graze vastly along the screen again.

"Who are you, Houdini? He's outside now." She mumbled.

Xylon nodded, making his way to the bench, picking up her belongings and preparing to walk her out.

"Nah, I just have a strong intuition." He smirked as she rolled her eyes, following him towards the front door.

She opened the door, looking out to see her father sitting patiently in the driveway. She turned towards Xylon, retrieving her purse from him.

"I don't think I ever told you, but if I did, thank you again. For everything you did for me today, you opened up your home, fed me, and put up with my stubborn ass. I know I can be a handful. So I really appreciate you going out of your way to make sure I was safe. I don't know what I would've done if you hadn't come out and caught my gas leaking. I probably would have been dead right now to be honest. " She trailed as she thought about the possibility of a fire occurring had she gotten her car up and running.