XXII

Disclaimer: This chapter may be triggering for some audience members due to the graphic description of drug use, crude and sexual content, violence and pervasive language.

| P A I G E 22 |

Howls of the wind whipped fiercely as menacing clouds swarmed the sky, overshadowing the moon

Howls of the wind whipped fiercely as menacing clouds swarmed the sky, overshadowing the moon. Just enough to prevent the rocky sphere from illuminating the night.

Her weary eyes roamed the foreign grey and red letters that bounced off the vast white sign, shivering vigorously from the unbearably frigid air that coated her skin.

Continuing to read over the words that portrayed the name of the cleansing facility, her mind settled into a war as she thought about the benefits for herself and what could possibly alleviate the predicament of her unfortunate circumstances. Where her mother's head was once laid to rest.

Biting the inside of her cheek, contemplating her entry, she soon decided otherwise as she lowered her head, turning on her heels. She advanced past the building, continuing her trek to find shelter for another fitful night's sleep.

The cold rain began rushing down, splashing the wet pavement beneath her, beating forcefully against her skin as the wind howled past her ears.

Dashing down the street, making a sharp turn around the corner, she entered an alley between the brick walls displayed by the parallel buildings. She slowed her pace as she began to approach the end of the alley. She sat beneath a small canopy that shielded her just enough to free her from the rain.

Resting her head back against the wall, she released a deep sigh, combing her fingers through her now damp hair. Her knees up to her chest, she pulled her arms around her body for warmth, her eyes drooping heavily, craving sleep.

Just as she began to doze off, a sudden rush took over her body, her once drifting vision becoming clear from her springing eyes. Panting heavily, she mentally attempted to avoid the throbbing of her aching muscles.

Her bones seemed to stiffen as a rush of nausea wavered her and she heaved breathlessly, instinctively spewing up her insides.

Regaining her composure, resting her head back, she pressed her hands firmly on the sides of her head, hoping to reduce what seemed like a sharp pain piercing through her skull.

But only in a matter of seconds did her adrenaline rush through the cores of her nerves as she quickly stood up and began fidgeting with her rain-damped clothes to free them from clinging to her body.

Dashing out of the alley, sprinting down the long dark roads, the rush of wind smashed into her skin as her bare feet clashed against the cold solid pavement.

She made her way towards the nearest payphone, located just a few blocks away. She approached the booth, stepping inside. Taking a minute to catch her breath, she retrieved the phone and rested it between the crook of her shoulder and her ear.

Anxiously digging into the pocket of her pants, managing to pull out a few coins that she'd gathered throughout the day, still shaking, she inserted them into the coin chute and impatiently awaited for the operator to get her through to the punched in dial.

"What?" Soon, a familiar, dark and horrifying voice erupted in her ears.