XII

| P A I G E 12 |

A loud bang echoed along the kitchen walls as Xylon silently cursed to himself

A loud bang echoed along the kitchen walls as Xylon silently cursed to himself. The abrupt sound maneuvered its way to the open-doored room in which resided a previously sleeping Desiree, who was now awake.

Her face contorted in confusion as she raised herself to sit up, glancing over to her left, noticing Xylon's side was now cold and empty. She detangled her legs from the sheets, removing the blanket, swinging her legs off of the bed, and stepping into her slippers, making her way out of the bedroom.

She strolled down the hallway, taking a quick peek into her daughter's room, seeing she was still fast asleep. Glancing at the clock on her nightstand that read 8:42 A.M., she wasn't surprised. Unlike her father, she was a late sleeper, much like herself. She was almost positive that she wouldn't be up for at least a couple more hours.
Maybe even a few.

Pulling her bedroom door shut, Desiree made her way into the kitchen, where Xylon could faintly be heard cursing to himself in the midst of his obnoxious rummaging.

"Heyyy! Morning mama." He shouted, taking notice of Desiree entering the room. Quickly shoving something into the oven, he turned to face her with a sheepish grin on his face.

Smirking to herself, Desiree stepped further into the room, folding her arms.

"Boy... what are you doing?" She laughed.

"Making a lil breakfast for my baybeh. Gettin' her ready for her recital later, you know? Daddy duties and shit." He muffled his chewing slowly, leaning on the island.

Desiree inched towards his face, trying to examine what was in his mouth. Quickly folding his lips in, he leaned in and planted a kiss on her forehead.

"Mhm." She began laughing. "You can't even cook. Let me see."

"Nah, I just uh, closed the door I don't want the air-"

"Open it." She demanded.

Before he could object again, Desiree made her way around the island towards the oven, proceeding to open it herself.

"Xylon!" She scoffed, cutting her eyes at him, staring into the oven. "A dozen double chocolate frosted donuts for breakfast and one with a bite in it. You've been munching?" She said in disbelief as she picked up the bitten donut, raising it to his face.

"Aye, that's what you see, and that's all you see. You see chocolate and double chocolate, but there's bran in those donuts. I'm tryna watch my figure love. "

Desiree smacked her lips, glancing over the pile of donuts on the cookie sheet once more.

"Yeah, and what were you going to wash this bran down with?"

Xylon scoffed, cocking his head back, knitting his eyebrows with a frown.

"Pshhh. Orange juice, of course."

Tossing the bitten donut onto the pan, she dusted her hands, shaking her head.

"Orange juice in the refrigerator?"

"Nah in the cabinet. Yes, orange juice in the refrigerator. "