XIX

| P A I G E 19 |

"Yo?" "Xylon, why haven't you been texting me back?!" "Because I'm drivin' Akira

"Yo?"

"Xylon, why haven't you been texting me back?!"

"Because I'm drivin' Akira."

"So? You could've at least texted me back to let me know you were okay."

"I'm good. You ain't see that no texting and driving commercial?"

"Yeah, so? I've been worried sick about you!"

"But that's still dangerous, Aki--"

Hearing the line fall silent and the tires screeching, Akira's heart fell to the floor as she scurried to her feet, slipping her shoes on and grabbing her jacket.

"Xy? Xy?! Xylon!" She shouted in a panicked tone.

Sprinting out of the door, she hopped into her car and pulled off.

"Xylon, please answer me! I'm sorry!" She cried.

"My fault, I almost hit a squirrel. See, look yo' ass got scared." He contended, returning to the line.

Akira jolted, pressing her foot against the break, at the sound of his voice. Shutting her eyes, she gripped the steering wheel, staring ahead.

"Xylon, that's not funny." She replied indignantly.

"Whew shit." He derisively laughed on the other end as he continued to drive.

If there was one thing that irritated Akira about Xylon even more than the fact that he was the most sweetest sarcastic asshole she'd ever met, it was his feeling the need to laugh at everything at the most inappropriate times.

She would understand if he did so when something was actually funny. But most days, it was typically Xylon finding joy in the fear of others, even if it was just him playing around and scaring them for his own entertainment.

That was the problem. He played too much.

He even laughed when he was extremely angry about something or was about to do something really malicious.

"I call your phone a million times just to check in on you and make sure you're okay. When you do answer the phone, you wanna play like you got into an accident or something happened to you. Again, minus me being in the car this time. You're an asshole. That wasn't funny."

"No, I didn't. I almost hit a squirrel."

"That's not the point." She rolled her eyes.

"Stop textin' me then."

Akira sighed on the other end, raking her fingers through her hair.