Chapter 25: This Isn't What I Was Expecting

[Hey guys! Thank you all for understanding what school is going through. I had a study period so I had decided to step away from school and just write this chapter for you. I am not going to update on Friday though, probably not Saturday either I am still deciding. Please enjoy this chapter 😊]

It was extremely early in the morning in Berk, no birds were chirping, the sun wasn't up yet while everyone still sleeps. But in the Haddock's household, Astrid was already up wearing her clothes for her first day as being an official doctor. She had waited all her life for this moment, to walk into the hospital knowing that she is going to become an official doctor. After she had gotten ready, she had looked over to see Hiccup sleeping quietly in the bed and she had walked over to him.

"Have a good day," She whispered before she kissed his forehead, leaving Hiccup having a small smile in his sleep as she walked out of the room with her things, going towards the car outside.

As she had gotten into the car, she had put her seatbelt on and had grabbed her coffee that she had made earlier and took a sip before looking back and had started to drive out of the driveway and had headed on the road heading towards Berk Hospital.

"And today it's going to be a very hot day with 90 Ferin Height," The radio announced as she was driving towards the city. As she had continued to drive in, she had kept thinking what her first orientation was like. Would her boss be strict? Would the boss just be casual and cool? What would he be?

A FEW MINUTES LATER

It was about 4:25 in the morning when Astrid had entered the hospital and had walked over to the reception desk where a lady was typing on her computer while talking to a patient that was in front of there. As she stopped at the reception desk, she had greeted the patient before they had ended the conversation and walked off, leaving the two there.

"Can I help you?" She asked.

"Yeah, I'm a new doctor here... Astrid Hofferson," She replied.

"Oh yes Astrid!" She smiled before she had given her a clip board with a sheet attached to it. "This is your timesheet. The boss is coming right now with your cloak and other things and you can start off," She said.

"Thank you..." She mumbled before she started to write her time in.

"So... what part of the hospital you're going to be working in?"

"Well... I think I am going to be a cancer doctor. I want to help out all the people I can really..." She said bluntly.

"You don't sound so happy about it."

"I just don't know, there's all these various positions and I learnt all of them during my four-year course." She simply said as the boss walked in he was extremely tall, he had grey hair and his face looked an average for a middle age man just about to into his 60's.

"You must be Astrid," He said with a smile which had caused herself to look over to him. "Yes, I am Astrid," She smiled back before he walked closer to her and had put his hand out to her.

"Nice to meet you, my name is doctor Wits," She grabbed his hand and the two of them shook.

"Hello," She replied with a weak smile.

"By the way my name is Samuel, but just call me Sam." He chuckled before the two of them had started walking towards the staff office. "I'll see you round!" The reception lady yelled out and Astrid had continued to smile.

"I am only giving you a small introduction because you have your first patient who is waiting to see you. I know you have learnt everything, but this one is a cancer patient. Are you okay with it because I heard a bit of your conversation and you didn't sound too pleased?"

"I am, I was just confused because I didn't know which part I was supposed to go in." She said as they walked into the office room and she had quickly grabbed the coat and the rest of her equipment.

"Alright... So, he is a 17-year-old boy who had been chemo for two months, he needs an update, his update is that he isn't going to well right now and I want to see you work with him. If you don't know then I will help you with that."

"Okay," She said.

This is not what I thought it would be...