Chapter 1

Intro -------

~ Past ~

" Anna ! Anna come on ! " Tatiana said impaitently .

" I'm coming Tatiana ! " I replied . I never used her full name unless given a choice .

Tatia huffed. I knew she hated it when I used her full name .

" Since when are we in a rush to pick flowers ? " I asked .

" Since I said so . " she said .

I giggled . I loved her . She was my best friend and every Sunday , we would walk through the village to the meadow and then return home the same way . And so we walked hand in hand down the dirt path toward our small village with a basket in our other hand. Tatia liked to pick the diasies while I preffered the roses. We went to that meadow when we needed to think or just when we got boerd . We'd been going there ever since we were children . Papa had run off and now we were left with our mother and 2 horses , a cow , 3 chickens , 1 rooster and our little bungalow on the outskirts of the woods . Momma was a seamstrice . She made all of our dresses and all of the dresses for the women in the village . Tatiana and I normally left the house and went to the meadow to escape the crowded bungalow that was always filled with women for thier fittings . We weren't poor , but we weren't wealthy . Middle class , I guess is the term . I sighed . Nothing interesting ever happens where we live . Nothing. Little did I know that everything was about to change . I would be choking on my own words . I was bending over picking up a red rose when I heard Tatia sigh.

" What is it , Tatia ? " I asked .

" Oh , I don't know . I'm just wondering if it's appropriete for two 16 year olds to be out picking flowers instead of making a meal or something . You know , Susette , down the road ? Well her mother makes her cook all day . " Tatia said .

" I suppose mother could use the help . " I said in a thougtful tone.

The truth was , we did everything we could to help our mother . Day in and day out , week by week , but there were just so many people.I'd always wondered how mamma could fit all of those women into our small little cottage . It was difficult without papa . Mamma had to work longer , Tatia and I had to work more and worst of all , I knew Tatia's heart was broken . She loved papa . They used to do everything together and then when he just ... left . Poor Tatia . I hated my father . He hated my mother and I and worshiped Tatia . I guess it's fair , because mamma preffered me and despite my father's negitivity towards my mother and I , we were one happy family . Slowly , we walked down the beaten path once more and walked through the door of our cottage and gasped . A woman with blonde hair and blue eyes sat at our table . She was very beautiful , but not nearly as pretty as mamma . Mamma's hair was the color of ebony and it ran over her shoulders in waves .

" Come in , girls . " Mamma said with a wave of her hand .

We walked in and shut the door .

" Mamma , what is this all about ? " I inquired.

" This is Ruth . She is is your father's sister and your aunt . I'm sadened to inform you of your father's death . I know this must be a shock . " she said mournfully .

With a deep inhaled breath , she continued .

" Ruth has come to take one of you traveling with her . She said it was your father's wish that his girls experience the world . " Mamma said .

Tatia and I both looked at eachother . I saw grief in her eyes and we pulled eachother close.
" Tati , I'm so sorry . " I whispered into her ear .

" So am I . " Was her respose .

Mamma looked up for the first time since we entered the room and all of the sudden we were in her small , petite arms .

" Be strong . My girls are strong . " she said , kissing our foreheads .

After a few moments of mouring , we got back to the matter at hand .

" Wow , both of you girls are beautiful . You're so similar , yet so different in personality AND in appearence. " she said , looking us over .

" Yes , they do look similar don't they ? " my mother asked .

Ruth nodded .

" But Anastasia's hair is much darker and she's paler in complexion. Not to mention the fact that her hair is straight . Not pin straight , but natural looking . Other then that , they could be twins . " Ruth said .

I looked at Tatia and saw a face almost mistakeble to my own .

" So , Ruth . Which one is it ? " mamma asked with a sigh .

" What do you mean ? You mean you're going to seperate us !?! " Tatia demanded , clining closer to me .

Even though I was a few months younger then Tatia , there were sometimes when I'd had to be strong for both of us ad I knew that this was one of those times .

" It's alright , Tati . " I said , soothingly , using her nickname .

" I'm sorry , girls . " Ruth said .

" It's alright . It's not like you two will never see eachother again . " mamma said .

Ruth sighed .

" Your things are packed Anastasia . " she said cheerfully .

Tatia's eyes started to water .

" It's alright , Tatiana . I'll see you soon . I promise . Help mamma and stay strong . Remember to pick roses and daisies every Sunday . " I told her as we hugged in a tight embrace .

" I love you , Anastasia , please be safe and come back soon . " she said.

I nodded .

" Same to you , Tatiana . I'll see you soon . " I said , pulling away to hug mamma .

Mamma threw her weak arms around me .

" I love you , Anya . " she said .

" I love you too , mamma . " I said .

Mamma kissed my cheek and Tatia kissed my forehead . I was about to follow Ruth out the door when I paused . I turned and tossed Tatia a rose and followed my aunt .