Solstice: Chapter 4

Start from the beginning

Ace laughed, Right to the catch. Ok. The Authority is Coven Law. You try and work a hex or a ritual that involves dark powers then they will be on your ass like white on rice. Lilly heard Jake say something to Mason before Ace continued. They are very real and know more about you, your Coven and everything that has happened than you know.

"How though?" Hailey asked, "How do they know so much about us?"

Norah was a person of interest seventeen years ago. When she dropped off the map they looked into her friends, acquaintances and family. Lilly, Sean, Mason, you guys are all going to be questioned at some point.

Jake's voice was louder this time, "He's in Thailand what harm can he do there?"

"Ok if this Authority is so powerful where were they when Norah possessed Pepper to kill the students of the school?" Sage asked, "The FBI was on the schools door, the police and the god damn press. Everyone but this Authority."

Tate is in the Authority, and yeah they were there. Half of the staff are in the Authority and they were investigating to no end.

"Fine but don't punch the screen!" Jake called out, Lilly was about to turn and see what was happening when Mason had pushed Sage aside and was standing in front of the computer blocking out everyone else.

Mason was pissed, Lilly didn't know if it was from Ace's jabs at him or Lilly's running to see him but her boyfriend was about to assert his dominance. "How do you know all of this, Harrington?" His voice was filled with accusation, "How do they know about everything we have done?"

Ace sighed, I know all of this because I work for the Authority.

Everyone was silent as they looked from one to another. The same questions running through Lilly's mind had to be running through everyone's. How long had he worked for them? What did he do? What does he know? And most importantly, what had he told them about the Willow Creek Coven and their involvement with Norah Essex?

Mason shook his head, "You're a fucking snitch you rat bastard. I should go to Bangkok and-" Jake was dragging Mason away from the computer screen, talking him down. Lilly turned to help but Jake shook his head at her and motioned for her to go back to the screen.

I started this summer, it's why I'm in Bangkok I'm learning an ancient from of magic, Ace made bunny ears as he said the word, from an ancient culture here. And before your pit bull asks I only told them what was necessary. That Norah was behind the deaths and you had nothing to do with it. Lilly, I had to especially stick up for you as you are an Essex.

Everyone's eyes turned to her for a moment, she was not going to let this get to her. She straightened her shoulders and turned the laptop so Ace could only see her, "I am putting all my faith in you that you told them the truth, about everyone in this coven."

Ace smiled, Well it's not like I am against you anymore. I was kicked out of my Coven because I helped you guys, dated Lilly and kept details of the murders from them.

Ace was kicked out of his Coven for them? He was the leader of the Salem Coven how could they just kick him out? Lilly felt a pang of guilt, maybe that was why he was working for the Authority? Maybe because he was no longer involved in a Coven he could be in the Authority guilt free from keeping secrets from those who trust him most?

So yes I work for the Authority but everything I told them was in favour of you. As for Lincoln Palmer he has been working for the Authority since he turned eighteen, before he finished at the Academy. Since then he has been working his ass off to gain the trust of the higher ups. He's worked undercover ops all around the world exposing traitors and power abusers. From what I have gathered the man asked for this operation.

So they were stuck with Lincoln Palmer until whatever it was he was looking for was found, assuming he was even looking for something. The man had come in and taken Sean's books about Coven lore and laws. Link might have the support of the Authority but Lilly didn't trust him, not at all.

Sage and Hailey kept talking to Ace while the other members of the Coven floated around the room. Mason had stormed out of the apartment after Jake spoke with him, Lilly followed through the back door leading to a small porch to find him leaning against the railing, smoking.

When he spotted her he didn't even try to toss the cigarette or even hide it. He just rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest, "You know who doesn't smoke. Ace." He said Ace's name as though it was some sort of contagious disease, "Maybe he would be better suited for you."

Lilly just rolled her eyes and closed the door behind her, there was no need for the rest of them to hear what was probably about to turn into an argument. When the rest of the Coven was shut off she sighed and took her place next to Mason, leaning against the rickety railing which was sure to break any day now.

No matter what she said to Mason he was still jealous of Ace. Yes she had dated him for a few months while they were in school and yes those months were great and she truly started to care for Ace but that didn't matter. She loved Mason and she wanted Mason more than she had wanted anyone. Ever. Including Ace.

She tried to love Ace, she wanted to love him but there was always something in the way of that, and that was Mason. What was she suppose to do to make him understand that? She told him she loved him, she moved to Willow Creek for the summer to be with him.

She sighed and intertwined her hand with his. "You know I love you, right?" Mason glanced at her as though apprehensive of where she was going with the statement. "Sometimes I feel like you don't trust me. It's not like we were together when I was dating Ace, and it's not like him and I ended on bad terms. We agreed to remain friends and allies which is something you need to understand."

Mason went rigid for a moment before letting out a sigh of defeat. He knew she was right, he was just too stubborn to admit it. Mason tossed the butt of his cigarette into the ally and wrapped his arms around her. "Sorry I'm a jerk."

Lilly snuggled into his chest and closed her eyes, "You just need to learn to trust me." She knew it was hard for him to trust others, no one in his life had ever given him a reason to trust them. His only family was Sage and her parents, and Sage was their priority. His Aunt, his mother's sister, loved him but her priority was her daughter, and the only man in Mason's life was his uncle who never had any ties to Mason as a child, let alone as a teenager.

Mason gently lifted her chin, pulling Lilly out of her thoughts, and he planted a soft kiss on her lips. It didn't matter how many times he kissed her or touched her every time he did it was like her insides began to melt.

When he pulled away he smiled and placed his hands on her hips, "Want to get out of here? Go somewhere where the others can't find us?"

Lilly nodded ,"Maybe sleep?" God all she wanted to do was go to bed and never wake up. Sleep through the god awful heat of the summer rays in Mason's air conditioned house while Sean and the others roasted in the apartment above the store.

Mason laughed and they began walking down the stairs when Sage's voice beckoning back inside rang through the walls. Lilly sighed and looked over to her boyfriend who was just as annoyed though more use to his cousins demands. Turning back around and entering the apartment they found the other members of the Coven sitting around the couch, the laptop closed.

"So, what happened?" Lilly asked casually but from the looks on everyone's faces no one was happy with what else Ace had to say.

Jake sighed, the most level headed of the group he was probably the only one calm enough to deliver the news. "Until we can prove to the Authority that we are not Norah's brainwashed lackeys they are going to be in town."

Lilly nodded her head. It made sense, she was Norah's blood, Sean was Norah's apprentice while the others were trained by her as Norah was their Coven leader. "So how will we show them we're nothing like Norah?"

Sage cut in this time, "We give them everything we own to do with powers. Hex books, family ledgers and histories."

"They already have all of that when they raided the store." Lilly was still not understanding why everyone looked like the were about to be sick, "What more could they need?"

"Lilly." Mason said her name softly, she turned to see he looked as sick as the rest of them, "They aren't going to leave until you give them the Book of Souls."