Equinox: Chapter 12

The next two weeks were the strangest, some of the strangest in her life. Not only were the campus grounds crawling with police officers, state troopers, FBI agents and extra security but the gruesome murder of an upper class high school student obviously got the attention of the media. Throw in several celebrity and political children there was a media circus in and out of the grounds.

Coming and going was difficult, coming mostly as the security was intense. Not only did you need your school ID you needed two other pieces of ID with your picture. Also coming in, waiting in line to get in, was when the media was on you like a hawk hoping someone to lower their tinted window was a celebrities child.

This was the only time in life having an old car came in handy. Lilly was not bothered once from the cameras because she was obviously not the offspring of famous people. While the campus was crawling for a weekend Lilly decided to take time off and go back to Boston to see her family.

Her brothers were excited, Preston more so then Carter but the oldest of the two boys was more interested in spending time alone than with his siblings. When Lilly saw young Preston she hugged her little brother so tightly he started complaining to their mom about her killing him.

"I'm not killing you, brat." She ruffled his hair as he huffed and crossed his arms over his chest. "Didn't you miss me at all?"

He shook his head and tried to fix his hair, he had the Bieber sweep going. "I don't miss you because you're mean!"

She laughed ,"I'm not mean, again you're just a brat."

Preston groaned and ran upstairs, she then heard Carter yelling about him being in his room, something being thrown and Preston laughing as he ran down the hallway. Lilly went into her mom's office and sat down on one of the swirling chairs. Betty was on the phone, holding up one finger as she quickly finished the conversation and hung up. "They don't fight nearly as much when you're not around."

Lilly smiled "Are you saying I am the trouble maker?" She pointed to herself innocently, "Little ol' me? Come on, mom you know I am your best behaved child."

Her mom rolled her eyes, "We all know Carter is the best behaved. Gets the best grades too." She smiled and looked over to a family picture on the wall, "He's the pride and joy of my life you know, my baby boy! He's never leaving I'll tell you that."

"You do know he's going when he's eighteen and Preston's going to be in the basement until he's 40 and orders a bride from Thiland?"

Her mom frowned, "Whatever everyone chooses I am fine with." She sighed and sat down on the desk behind her, "How's school with everything that happened?"

Lilly shrugged, "Fine, other than the media it's gone back to normal. Did you know some tabloids are saying the psychopath is after a bunch of celebrity kids?"

Betty nodded, "I see. Have you met any of them? I heard that actor who won the Oscar last year kids go to your school. I forget their name..."

Lilly laughed ,"I met her, she's a bitch." Her phone went off and she pulled it out of her bra, it was Amie, angry that she was back in town for a couple of days and didn't tell her. She left her mom and went downstairs to her bedroom to call her cousin. Amie yelled at her for a few minutes before yelling that she was going to be there in a few minutes.

Going outside her redheaded cousin was sitting in her dad's Toyota with the windows rolled down though October was proving to be quite chilly. Lilly plopped into the front seat, "I was going to call you."

Amie frowned, "Sure, sure. Just like you called me in the summer when you went to that hick town filled with brother cousins and daddy uncles." She smiled as she pulled hastily into traffic. Amie filled Lilly in on every aspect of her life, including her romance with Blake, a member of Ace's Coven. Apparently most weekends he drives to Boston to be with her. From the way Amie talked about him Lilly could tell her cousin was falling hard for the guy.