Chapter 5

Lilly couldn’t keep her eyes off the boy, his face looking like something out of Greek mythology perfectly constructed as though the Gods themselves made him. His eyes were as blue as the clear sky and his hair, which was lighter than she thought, sat on his head in a perfect cut.

“Is he wearing one of those bags?” She asked Hailey quietly as she watched him pop a cigarette into his mouth. A nasty habit but somehow he made it look good.

“He’s probably wearing some sort of hex bag,” The other girl replied as she fumbled to put hers back under her shirt, “Most witches and warlocks don’t go anywhere without one.”

“Is his to attract attention? Because seriously it’s working I cannot take my eyes off of him.”

Jake laughed from the backseat and pulled himself forward to be at the same level as the two girls in the front, “He doesn’t need a hex bag to attract attention, no he was born with that face.”

So he didn’t have some sort of spell on him to make him irresistible. Good, Lilly liked that what she was looking at was all natural and pure. Maybe. Who knows what kind of hex bag he carried with him, or how many he did at once but her knew goal of the week was no longer to leave quickly but to have some one on one time with this Mason Avery.

Sage and Darcy must have finally noticed him because both girls got up and went to talk to him in a private circle that none of the other followers seemed to join. Lilly couldn’t see the two girls’ faces but Mason’s looked hard as stone, “Is he...dating one of them?”

“I sure as hell hope not! Sage is his cousin and he lives with her up Willow Road in the Anderson House, established 1747.” Hailey said as though reciting something she had read, “The Anderson’s have always been here, someone in the family has always been Mayor.”

“But that tradition is about to break.” Jake added in with a nod of his head.

“Yes because Sage has no interest in Politics and wants to run away to New York to become a model, actress, singer, dancer, forever prom queen.” The disgust in Hailey’s voice was hard to ignore, it was clear the two girls did not like each other. Maybe they even hated each other.

“Have you guys not heard of democracy and having election? These people can’t just decide that they want to be mayor and that is that. Or do you not get the same education out here as people in...populated areas?”

That earned her a smack to the back of the head, surprisingly from Jake in the backseat, “We’re not inbred hicks if that is what you are implying. We get an education and we defiantly know what democracy is it just so happens Sage’s family is filled with powerful witches and warlocks that no one seems to question.”

“Actually we probably get a better education than you.” Hailey added, “Ever heard of Hawthorn Boarding School? Yeah we go there because there are not enough students here to start a local high school. It’s outside of Salem and hundreds of rich kids go there, not just hicks.”

“Take that public school system!” Jake said as he held out his hand for Hailey to give him a high five. The noise of their celebration seemed to catch the attention of not only the groups of followers but the three witches off to the side.

Lilly saw’s Sage’s gaze lift and land on her car, giving it a once over with a look if disgust on her face. Darcy seemed to be doing the same thing as she whispered into Sage’s ear, both girl giggles and began walking towards the car.

“Abort mission! Abort mission we have been spotted!” Jake called as he sat back and pulled on his seat belt, at Lilly’s slowness to act he groaned and began turning his hand as though he was trying to turn on the ignition, “Turn this thing on and lets go! Come on!”