Equinox: Chapter 30

Norah was standing only a few yards away from Lilly, with her arms wide open like her daughter was going to go running to her like nothing had ever happened.

Lilly couldn't wrap her head around it. She held Norah under the water of the Black Lake in Willow Creek until she stopped fighting back. Norah was dead, drowned, gone. What the hell was she doing here? How the hell could she be alive?

Norah dropped her arms, "Now Lilly that's rude. Clearly your father did a terrible job raising you." Norah waited, to register Lilly's response. Satisfied when anger contorted Lilly's face she continued, "Are you confused, baby? Wondering how the hell I'm still alive?"

Lilly nodded her head, stiffly. She opened her mouth to say something but her vocal cords seemed to have frozen, hell everything inside of her was frozen and it was not because the temperature was still dropping and she was soaked from her swim in the river.

Norah took another step closer into the light. She looked as Lilly remembered her, though her hair was longer and she looked a little thinner. Almost stressed.

Lilly's bravery crept back into her, or was it curiosity? Curiosity for what she had been doing, why she had been killing the students, why she was possessing Lilly, where her Coven was.

"Where are my friends?"

Norah smiled, "They're fine. Trust me." Not going to happen.

"It's been you this entire time?" Lilly croaked out, "You killed Vince, Blake and Pepper?"

Norah nodded her head, "And took their heart, lungs and head...well it takes time to take out a brain so I had to take the head. Messy business, decapitation."

Lilly felt her stomach rolled. "Why? They were kids? Why kill them?"

Norah shrugged and just giggled. She didn't say anything only turned around and moved back into the shadows. Lilly stayed where she was, no way was she following Norah into the dark and creepy forest.

When the woman emerged she was holding something in her arms. Lilly squinted to see what it was but Norah held it into the light. It was the Book of Souls.

"Thanks for being an idiot and forgetting this." She giggled again and flipped open the book, "Did you like my snow storm by the way?" The moment she said it the storm made sense. It came back and pretty much followed her and Mason back to Willow Creek, the hex bag to make them crash, how it lingered over the town.

"Why?"

Norah shrugged, "I needed the book."

"For what? There's nothing in there that needs body parts!"

Norah smiled and flipped through the pages and ran her finger down one of the pages. She tossed the book to the ground and motioned to it with a nod of her head, "Go ahead, read it."

Slowly Lilly stepped forward. Keeping her eyes on Norah she bent down and grabbed the book. Her eyes swept down the page. She had seen it before, a spell for putting someone into a coma. It wasn't pleasant and it did not require body parts.

Norah noticed her confusion, "It's a double page. Look in the spine."

Lilly squinted and noticed that the pages could be lifted apart. Carefully she pulled the pages apart and looked at what was behind the spell on the cover, and she felt like vomiting.

"Beautiful, isn't it?" Norah asked stepping forward. "One heart, one set of lungs and a brain. The perfect concotion to-"

"Bring someone back from the dead." Lilly muttered.