Chapter 17

Mason took Lilly out on his motorcycle and they drove around Willow Creek speeding up hills and around corners. She really should have been telling him to slow down or start fearing for her life but with Mason she felt so safe. She felt as though if she was with him they could go into the forest and hunt down hooded and creepy, take him out then have a picnic.

Not that she was willing to go into the forest and look for the hooded creep.

Finally Mason came to a halt in front of the beach where they held their coven meetings, hoping off the bike he strode down to the black waters and stood at the shore. Lilly was in her flip flops and climbing down the hill proved difficult, Mason didn’t come to offer her help which was a bit irritating but he seemed distracted with the lake.

“Beautiful, isn’t it?” He called out not taking his eyes from the still waters.

Grunting Lilly landed on the flat ground and walked towards the shore stopping beside the equally beautiful Mason, “Yeah if you like creepy lakes that probably have bodies floating under the waves.”

Mason looked at her and frowned, “This is the Black Lake. There are never waves.”

“There has to be waves sometimes. What about in a storm?”

He shook his head once, his eyes returning to the eerily still waters, “Never, I have never seen it move.” Lilly felt his cold hand take hers, a shiver ran up her spine. “Not that I have come here in a storm but people have and the lake is still. This is where our Coven has met for centuries and there is some sort of hex on the lake.”

Hex on the lake? Lilly looked from Mason’s face to the black waters again. It was perfectly still and even in the day the waters were blacker than the night sky. She had never thought of it until now how eerie this place truly was, and somewhere around them was a hex bag keeping it this way. “Why would someone want to keep the waters still?” She asked softly

Mason shrugged, “My aunt use to tell us a story about the lake. She said a monster is concealed under the water and the original town Coven created a hex to keep it there. If destroyed the monster will be set free and everyone in all Coven’s will perish.”

“That’s a terrible children’s story.”

Mason laughed, not his humourless, emotionless laugh but a genuine laugh with entertainment behind it. His laugh was, well sexy. It was deep like his voice but not ridiculous and didn’t go on forever. When he stopped he picked up a stone and skipped it across the water. “Ah, yeah it was a terrible children’s story, but it is suppose to keep them out of the water. Don’t want to send the kids swimming with the big bad monster.”

Did he actually believe there was some sort of monster under the still glass of the dark waters? It was a really childish belief but so is Santa Clause, the Tooth fairy and the Easter Bunny. Maybe the kids of Willow Creek grew up with the tale of the Black Lake Monster to keep them in line.

Obviously the tale didn’t work on a shirtless Mason, who was wading farther into the water. “Where are you going?” Lilly asked frantically as he waded to his knees, the bottom of his shorts dangling in the water. “I thought you said a monster was in there?”

He shot her back a frowned look, “And do you think there’s one?” When she didn’t answer he laughed again, “Nothing is going to happen, I promise.” He was holding out his hand to her though he was several yards a head of her. Hesitantly Lilly kicked off her flip flops and pulled off her t-shirt covering her bikini top and waded into the black abyss.

Closing her eyes she expecting something with tenticles to come out and eat her, or the water to be cold as ice but she was wrong on both accounts. She waded out to where Mason was standing. Where the water was to his knees the edge was touching her thighs, soaking her shorts.