Equinox: Chapter 28

Ace stood there, eyes darting back between her and Mason. Finally he breathed out and shoved his hands in his jean pockets and asked again, "What did you do?"

Lilly's eyes darted to Mason, who looked like he was about to jump up and knock Ace out. "Nothing, Harrington." Mason dropped Lilly's hands, "Why don't you do everyone a favour and fuck off."

Ace smiled and nodded his head, "Before I fuck off, Avery, I would like to have a small conversation with my girlfriend."

As Mason stood up he knocked his chair to the ground behind him. The loud clatter made all the eyes in the dining hall turn to the two boys ready to throw down in the corner of the room. Lilly jumped to her feet and stood between the two of them, putting a hand on their chests. "Calm down. Both of you." She turned to Mason, "It's ok, I need to talk to him. Alone."

Mason frowned, "No."

"Since when did you start making decisions for her, Mason?" Ace taunted.

Mason stepped forward but Lilly pushed him back, "Either sit back down or go away. I need to talk to Ace, alone." Without saying another word to Mason she walked away from him, Ace close on her heels. She wasn't going to go far, and even if she did Mason would probably follow.

She lead Ace into the old mail room, it was empty, and closed the door behind her. Ace was standing a few feet away from her, shifting in his shoes. "I knew you still had feelings for Mason but I thought maybe if I could show you how you deserve to be treated you would forget about him..."

Did he actually think that this was about her and Mason? Not that there was anything between her and Mason, not a lot anyway. "This isn't about Mason."

Ace's head snapped up and his eyes narrowed on her, "What's this about then?"

She took a moment to think about how she could calmly address the situation. No matter what she was about to say he was going to be upset. Taking a deep breath she began, "I know what you've been doing. Outside the school."

Ace cracked a smile, "And what have I been doing?"

"Giving me hexed jewelry, possession and, oh yeah, murdering Coven members."

Ace's smiled dropped instantly. Lilly watched as his face contorted into a mix of fear and disgust? He kept opening and closing his mouth as though he was trying to come up with some excuse but nothing was good enough.

Finally after several awkward minutes his mouth opened again, "You think that was me?" His voice was cracked and broken, as though his mouth and throat were as dry as a desert, "You think I killed my best and oldest friend?"

Lilly nodded, "And Vince and Pepper."

Ace ran his fingers through his hair several times, "No, no, not that's not...I didn't do it!" His voice was raised now.

Lilly stepped towards the door and locked it before Mason could burst in and ruin any chance she had on getting answers out of Ace, who was now muttering to himself. Lilly listening for a moment, he was mainlhy repeating oh my god, oh my god and shit fuck.

Rolling her eyes she interrupted the rantings of his crazy, "Why?" He stopped muttering and looked at her, "Why did you kill them?"

"I didn't!"

"Liar!"

Her ran his hands through his hair again, "Why do you think it was me? What have I done to you to make you think that I could kill people? That I could kill the only person I have considered family?"

"Then how come you have been involved in every night since this whole thing started?"

He threw his hands into the air, "Fuck, Lilly! I don't know what you're talking about!" He walked right up to her and took her hands in his, "I didn't kill them, I didn't kill any of them! How could you think it was me?"