Equinox: Chapter 22

The sun was shining tanning her skin, the sand on the beach was steaming under her feet, and the drink in her hand tasted like sunshine. Lilly stretched out on her reclining chair and let her neglected underarms get some sun.

The waves from the beach splashed on the shore in rhythmic waves, she wanted to jump in the warm waters to cool off.

"Lilly." A voice said from a distance. She ignored it, it was too hot to talk. "Lilly. Refresh on the drink?"

Without opening her eyes she moaned and nodded her head, "Yeah." The sounds of ice cubes hitting glass and liquid being poured came next. "You can go now."

"I'm not going anywhere."

Worst waiter ever. "I said I'm done."

"Lilly, open your eyes."

"No, I want to stay on the beach."

The waiter mumbled something incoherent but she didn't care. The sun was shining, the waves were crashing the new drink tasted even better than the last one. "Lilly open your eyes! Now!"

Lilly groaned and opened her eyes to yell at the waiter but as soon as she did the beach went away, the sun was no longer shining, the waves turned into cold howling wind, her drink was gone and worst of all the waiter was Mason.

She looked around, they were still in the truck, though she felt dizzy and confused. Lilly propped herself up against the seat, her head throbbed. "What happened?"

Mason let out a sigh of relief and sat back against his own chair, running his, bloody, hand through his now tangled hair. When he saw Lilly's look or horror and shock he put up his hand to stop her from moving to help him. "It's nothing, from the glass." Lilly looked to Mason's window, there was definitely a dent where his hand could have hit, the glass around it shattered. "The car skidded off the road after the hex bag was opened. We tumbled down a hill into a ravine, you hit your head against the window."

That explained why she was dreaming she was on a sandy beach drinking alcoholic beverages and basking in the steaming glow of the sun. "How long?"

Mason shrugged, "Fifteen, twenty minutes ago maybe."

She nodded and looked around, the car had plowed into a tree trunk and the hood was crushed in to what she would consider irreparable damage. The windshield was cracked and the icy air from outside was pouring in. She was sore all over and her head throbbed like two boulders were rolling around inside of it, crashing against her skull constantly.

What happened? The last thing she remembered was looking for a cell phone under the seat of the car and pulling up a hex bag? When the memory came back she swung her wild gaze back to Mason, who was shivering in the corner of his seat. "The hex bag! It made us run off the road!" Mason nodded his head once, "But why did it take so long? We've been in the car for hours?"

Mason nodded his head again, "It was a hex bag that activates when opened, but by then it's too late to do anything about it." He let out a breath, the steam coming out of his mouth was so thick it could have been smoke. They were freezing to death. "Bloody rabbits foot killed in a cemetery, dried leaves of a four leaf clover, and dirt from the cemetery where the rabbit was killed. It was meant to cause bad luck and ultimately death."

"But it didn't work, we're not dead."

Mason laughed, "Not yet, we're going to freeze out here though. A slow and painful death is still a death."

Lilly nodded slowly, it was true they were going to freeze to death if they stayed where they were, but the storm was not letting up and even she knew that they had a better chance staying where they were waiting for someone to drive by then braving the elements.